Camel Spider???

Here you can share your experiences with us. Be it Spiders, Scorpions, Roaches, they belong here.

View Gallery

Camel Spider???

Postby Cyro » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:30 am

Hi there everyone
Caught and photographed this spider in Ladysmith, KNZ
I'm not to clued up about spiders but still love them.
Thanks for watching and any detailed info will be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cyro
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Camel Spider???

Postby Nafcerion » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:48 am

Hi Cyro ,

According to this wiki page , it definitely looks like a camel spider (Solifugae).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae

i could be very wrong :) but they are awesome spideys :) nice catch. :)
If you can't easily explain it to a 5 year old, you don't know enough about the topic.

0.1.0 Red Tail Boa
0.1.0 Amel Corn
1.0.0 Pastel BP
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
1.0.0 Rainbow Boa
Nafcerion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:09 am

It is definitely a camel spider species, which one, I would never know.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:36 pm

Its a Solifugid, an arachnid, but not a spider, "camel spider" is an internet name, and not really applicable to these in my opinion...
They are 8 legged badd-assery of the highest order, their hunting technique is basically run-like-crazy-until-i-bump-into-something-edible...
They have no fear, and have a habit of nibbling off soft fur from animals or hair from people to line a nest burrow, this earned them the afrikaans name of 'baardskeerder' (roughly translates to beard shaver) I have observed one doing this to my very patient and bemused chow-chow!

This one looks like a diurnal species (hunts by day) just based on the colouring, I love these mean little blighters! :)
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ewertb » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:20 am

Also known as a "Rooi Roman" in Afrikaans. An arachnid but not a spider nor a scorpion.
African Fat Tailed Geckos 0.2.0
Ball Pythons 2.3.0
ewertb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby croteseeker » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:16 am

I like your answer the best, Bernice, as it's SPOT ON! :lol:

We had a species of these in Arizona that was commonly known as a Sun spider (despite their being nocturnal). In almost every encounter I ever had with those guys, I would be out on my back patio late at night smoking a cigarette (barefoot) when these little eight-legged terrors would come flying onto my porch from out from the darkness, with a speed that I've only seen matched by a cruise missile. I'd tell you that I've never in my life screamed like a little girl and jumped up on a chair, but I'd be lying. :cry:
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nafcerion » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:47 am

ewertb wrote:Also known as a "Rooi Roman" in Afrikaans. An arachnid but not a spider nor a scorpion.

is this really how a rooi roman looks like ?? i have never seen one in life, even though i was apparently chased by one when i was very young lol . :lol:
If you can't easily explain it to a 5 year old, you don't know enough about the topic.

0.1.0 Red Tail Boa
0.1.0 Amel Corn
1.0.0 Pastel BP
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
1.0.0 Rainbow Boa
Nafcerion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:55 am

Yes, the common ones-the only ones I've seen, are an orange colour and I think their abdomen might be more elongated. The body shape and structure is identical though.

They are often said to 'chase' people, but if I'm correct they are actually after your shadow, trying to escape the sun.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Invertebrates