Flapneck hasn't eaten in two weeks.

Flapneck hasn't eaten in two weeks.

Postby Sonjat » Sun May 22, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi, I've searched around but can't realy find something. My flapneck hasn't eaten in two weeks. She usualy eats very well but started eating less and less as it got colder and now just stoped completely for the last two weeks. While she was eating she was still "pooping" fine but ever since she stoped eating I haven't seen her "poop". I put her outside when ever the weather is sunny to get some natural sunlight and when she is inside she has all the needed requirements. She is sitting in the same spot day in and day out and only moving once in a while to another spot. If any body has any advise I would realy apreciate it! Thanx!!
Sonjat
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Flapneck hasn't eaten in two weeks.

Postby Fooble » Sun May 22, 2011 8:48 pm

During the cooler periods they will eat less and less.
Some will stop feeding all together.
Bare in mind it is not legal to keep indigenous chameleons.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Chameleon Company » Sun May 22, 2011 11:19 pm

I would release her, people must start buying exotic captive bred chameleons instead of keeping indigenous species!
2:2 Pseudaspis cana
1:2 Dasypeltis scabra

And yes they are all on permit.
Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Mon May 23, 2011 2:41 pm

Its up to you whether to keep it or not. There are more than enough people on this forum keeping indegenous reptiles (mostly snakes) I dont see why we cant keep a chameleon lol.

What do you feed her? She might be going through a hunger strike due to lack of variety in her diet. You should throw a mix in on some days, crickets and cockroaches are perfect staples being high in protein, some chameleons like mealworms, you can give them a couple of those every now and then, I have seen exotic jacksons to like mealworms a lot more than crickets...then you can also feed her a couple silkworms, thats if you can find them forsale right now, there are also pheonix worms (gagagrubs) wax worms, etc...
Usually a new feeder type will break the hunger strike.

It could also be like what Fooble mentioned with the temperature drop.

But you also mention that it is a female? How old would you estimate?
She could be carrying eggs, normaly females stop eating when they are near egg laying time, though she should of then laid the eggs already...If she looks lumpy to you then she has got eggs in her...you should have a laying bin in her cage filled with sand incase she needs to lay eggs, if you dont have one already I sugest you put one in as soon as possible.
And during this laying process you need to give her 100% privacy or she wont lay, if she does not lay the eggs she will die eggbound

Good luck!
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sonjat » Mon May 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Thanks fooble and chamssss for the reply I realy do appreciate it!! I have searched around before for other feeders but can mainly get crickets and mealworms and she wants nothing to do with mealworms! I will look around again for some roaches and if I can't find it I will order some from some where!! I have no idea how old she is but do know that she is a fullu grown adult! She is not gravid. She was gravid when I got her in the first week of March this year and she laid her eggs(all 49) on the 23rd of March. The exotic petshop where I get everything also said that it has to do with the weather! I will get her some roaches as soon as possible ( hopefully I don't have to wait for an order) and will let know if that will help her to start eat again!! Thanks again!!
Sonjat
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sonjat » Tue May 24, 2011 8:03 pm

So I got some roaches today but she is still not interested in eating. She ate out of a feeder cup for a time previously so I've put the cup back with 2 crickets and 2 roaches (have to feed them now in the cup to keep them going) so when she desides she is hungry there will be some food. Thanks again for all the advise!!
Sonjat
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Wed May 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Sounds good.

What ever happend to those 49 eggs?
In the mean time you can start a roach colony. Keep feeding them and keep them warm and they will start multiplying in no time! Then you wont have to buy too many crickets for your cham, cutting down on costs.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chameleons