Injured chameleon- help please

Injured chameleon- help please

Postby TraceyB » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:13 pm

Dear Chameleon experts

I did an awful thing on Friday evening- I injured a chameleon really badly while trimming the hedge, by mistake of course. I thought I had perhaps made him blind, and was thinking of putting him down, but then I saw one of his eyes open so I put twigs and leaves into an old hamster cage and brought him inside.

I cut off the top of his head, the top of his eyelids and the top of his nose, as well as his left front hand. I feel absolutely awful- I hate to see an animal suffer at my hand. I cleaned his wounds with a tiny bit of dettol and water, then out betadine ointment on with an earbud, and I've been spraying the leaves in the cage with water, as well as dripping some water onto his mouth every so often. I also put some fruit in the cage to attract fruit flies, but I don't know if he can see, so I caught 3 flies today and had to gently pry open his mouth to put them inside. He swallowed the first two, but not the second. He's been chilling on the branches in the cage, doesn't move much, but moves around at times. I definitely don't see much eye movement at all- sometimes see one eye open very briefly. When I pick him up to feed him he searches for my fingers with his hands, telling me that he can't see me.

I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow to see what he says and if he can treat him better, but what do you think I can do? Do you think he will get better, or do you think he's lost part of his brain/ eyes and will never be able to survive or hunt again? Is he in a huge amount of pain and should I just out him down?- and if so, how would I do this quickly?

Thank you
Tracey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TraceyB
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Injured chameleon- help please

Postby Fooble » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:47 pm

Shame those injuries look very severe and im doubtful the chameleon will fully recover.
Where about in the Western Cape are you?

For the mean time hold out on trying to get it to feed and lightly spray the enclosure with water for it to be able to drink off.

Sham i feel sorry for the animal and you that couldn't have been a nice experience.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Girl Wrangler » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:16 am

Hi Tracey,

Sad situation indeed, but considering how much pain the fellow is in the unlikelihood of the guy being fit enough to be released, I think the humane thing needs to be done by a vet. There is no legal way for your to do it, so the best thing to do is take it to the vet and he will put it to sleep. As people we tend to try and do too much to appease our own guilty conscience and thereby allowing the animal to suffer more than it needs to. I know it is difficult, but definitely the right thing to do! Your heart is in the right place, but this is a decision that needs to be made with the head... GOOD LUCK and well done for seeking advice for those who know!
Girl Wrangler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TraceyB » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:02 am

Unfortunately "Alan" was dead this morning. I am happy he is suffering no more. I'm so sorry Alan to have done this to you. :(
TraceyB
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:49 pm

TraceyB accidents happen. If you did not care you would have just trod on his head.

Now that you know there are chameleons in your garden just try to be a bit more careful.

Dont beat yourself up over this.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Chameleon Company » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:14 am

Chameleons are very delicate and from such wounds im not surprised it didnt survive.

In WP you are very lucky to have Bradypodion in your gardens and next time I am sure you will be more careful, good on you for seeking help though. This species thrives in well watered urban gardens of both indigenous and exotic flora.

Pity this adult died but im sure everyone has at sometime unwillingly injured or killed an animal.

Good luck with the rest of the chameleons in your garden and post a few pics for us will you?
2:2 Pseudaspis cana
1:2 Dasypeltis scabra

And yes they are all on permit.
Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chameleons