burrow excavation in Flap neck chameleon

burrow excavation in Flap neck chameleon

Postby Chris89 » Sun May 12, 2013 11:05 am

The following observations are from 10/03/2013. This series of pictures shows where, when and how Chameleo dilepsis dilepsis excavate burrows to deposit eggs. The site was discovered at about 10am on the previous day but the chameleon was disturbed and retreated into a nearby Searsia bush. After an hour it had not returned. On the evening of the 10th it had returned and continued to excavate. I was not able to record how long it takes to excavate the burrow but judging by the speed of this individual, it probably takes at least a few hours. It is probably no coincidence that the site was located on a degraded termitarium(Picture 1) as the substrate in the area is very rocky. The soil modifications created by the termites may also have beneficial thermal and hydrological properties.
The chameleon appeared to be quite emaciated and heavily gravid with outline of the large eggs clearly visible(Picture 2). The chameleon used all four limbs to excavate. The hind legs are used effectively to secure the chameleon while digging with the fore legs so as to prevent the chameleon pulling itself forward(Picture 3). Substrate is deposited around the midpoint between the fore and hind legs and then pushed back out of the burrow using the hind limbs(Picture 4 and 5).
To secure the chameleon in place while pushing soil with the hind limbs, the chameleon made effective use of its prehensile tail by holding on to a small plant(Picture 6). This allowed her to use both hind legs simultaneously while resting on her ventral surface(Picture 7). Excavation continued after dark and the temperature was just 15° C. when I left her after 20H00. Altitude: approximately 1480m asl. Vegetation: Rand Highveld grassland, with scattered young Acacia karoo(Picture 8).
Chris89
SA Reptiles Member

Re: burrow excavation in Flap neck chameleon

Postby Fooble » Sun May 12, 2013 1:17 pm

That's a excellent observation may well be worth a HAA Submission.
http://www.africanherpetology.org/index.php
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby LizardLover » Sun May 12, 2013 1:54 pm

I agree with Fooble.
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun May 12, 2013 4:54 pm

No wonder they probably only ever breed once in their lives. This must really take it out of her. Excellent report.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Chris89 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. It was brilliant to watch
cheers
Chris89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon May 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Nice observation man. I am very surprised the Cham came back after it got disturbed the first time.

I can't imagine that it's easy to dig with feet like that, so well done to her.

Well documented!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby froot » Fri May 17, 2013 8:07 am

You are so lucky to have seen this, one of the best topics I've seen in ages.
I wonder how deep she went, I would speculate that it's quite deep considering termitaria can extend to a considerable depth. It might be an idea to frequent the site and take temperature measurements of the soil next to the hole at the estimated/typical depth of the eggs to give us an idea of their incubation temperature and fluctuations. This is also indicative that abandoned termitaria may be crucial for this species' reproduction.

Thanks for sharing!
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Chris89 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:27 am

Thats an excellent idea froot! I must invest in a max/min thermometer. Any idea where i can find one? Termites are known as Allogenic ecosystem engineers as the effects they cause long outlive the termites themselves, as opposed to something like a tree which creates microhabitats for only as long as it exists. Another interesting example are bushclumps on termitaria where enhanced soil quality supports a multitude of tree species locally found almost only on termitaria (White stinkwood, wild pear dombeya, Karee etc.). It is quite possible that there may be a relationship between these bushclumps and certain species of reptile. I will scratch around a bit. Big ups to the termites!
Thanks for reading
Cheers
Chris89
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chameleons