Not that common Eggeater

Postby Mongoose » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:48 pm

Send it to me and I'll tell you what color it turns in formalin.
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:19 pm

Mongoose stop drinking the alcohol off the pickle jars. It has preserved your brain cells and the ones that it missed are in your ass!

Damien be aware I have friends at the embassy and just one rumour could make life very difficult for you. You have been warned, infidel.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:46 pm

Wow BV, that is an amazing snake, didn't find your lil feeding the egg eater to another snake pic all that funny. They are one of my favorite SA colubrids. That albino left me breathless though!!!
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:04 pm

Are there any pictures of other labino local snakes anyoen has hiding around?

What?

Not wild about morphs either but I think that's very different, very cool. Thanks BV.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Fooble » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:11 pm

let me rephrase that terrible typo.

Are there any pictures of other albino Indigenous snakes people have out there?

Ive seen that albino mole snake and house snakes on here.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby damiensharjah » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:59 pm

Yeah

Here's a piebald albino rinkhals. Nasty piece of work. Bushviper knows this snake well.
:evil:
damiensharjah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:40 pm

Thats a nice rinkals!
Was it captive bred or caught?
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby damiensharjah » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:21 am

Wild caught in Midrand.
damiensharjah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby drummer » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:30 am

i think its ugly as hell! still cool though
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:13 pm

Last night I was told that there is an albino puff adder in a freezer in Rustenburg and I was promised photos. I am not holding my breath although another suspected albino was spotted in Ellisras area about 3 weeks ago. It was not even photographed because the people who saw it were too scared to get out the car. It did manage to cross the road safely.

Other species of which albinos have been found in SA are 1 x Olive house snake, 2 x Aurora house snake, At least 4 different Brown house snakes (Durban Pietermaritzburg, Pretoria and Nelspruit), 1x Cape wolf snake, 2 x Night adders, 1 x albino Rinkhals and 1 x partial leucistic Rinkhals pictured above, 1 x molesnake, piebald Shield nosed snake and Piebald Olive house snake. I have also seen striped Puff adders and a striped eggeater too.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby BushSnake » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:55 pm

...and striped skaapsteker
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby MV » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:02 pm

An albino puffy in Ellisras area? I would take that bit of info with a pinch of salt, slice of lemon and a shot tequila.

If they were too scared to get out of the car, they probably couldn't have identified the snake positively. I heard about this, and from the descriptions that I got, it sounded more like a fat light colored Pseudaspis cana( according to what I heard, the head was not distinctly big).

But hey, you never know.
Negative thoughts, creates a negative mind. A negative mind, creates a negative person.
A negative person, creates a negative mood, which spoils the power of positivity...
Making room, for negative thoughts. - The Circle of Negativity by MV
MV
SA Reptiles Member

Postby damiensharjah » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:08 pm

Bushviper wrote:... partial leucistic Rinkhals pictured above, ....

What's the difference between a leucistic rinkhals and a piebald albino?
damiensharjah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:48 pm

Bushviper wrote:Other species of which albinos have been found in SA are 1 x Olive house snake, 2 x Aurora house snake, At least 4 different Brown house snakes (Durban Pietermaritzburg, Pretoria and Nelspruit), 1x Cape wolf snake, 2 x Night adders, 1 x albino Rinkhals and 1 x partial leucistic Rinkhals pictured above, 1 x molesnake, piebald Shield nosed snake and Piebald Olive house snake. I have also seen striped Puff adders and a striped eggeater too.
Unless there are pictures I don't believe any of it!! :twisted:I know there are pics of some of them but I want to see the rest.
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:02 pm

Damien, the eye colour plays a big role. That rinkhals had wine red eyes whereas a piebald would have black eyes and a black tongue. Thats how I have it, but possibly there is a better description.

The albino puffie was not described to me as an albino but a bright yellow puff adder with one black markings but white chevrons down its back. It was huge" and they showed me about 40 cm long so they are not that bad to blow everything out of proportion.

Bushsnake I have not seen pics of the albino skaapsteker and was not aware of it. Any other info?

The one olive house snake was described in the HAA journal but the picture is in black and white! Not a great help now really. The aurora was published in one of the first Reptiles magazines many years ago. The photograph belongs to the Transvaal museum as does the Cape Wolf snake.

Bushviper
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Egg eaters (Dasypeltis sp.)