Egg Eaters

Egg Eaters

Postby Mitton » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:20 am

I thought I would post a few pics of 6 different Egg Eaters and just show how different Egg Eaters can look.

Little grey one, still tiny.

Female

Male

Male

Male

Green Colour Female - She mated a while ago even though I thought she was still way too small, she then dropped 3 eggs a while back, should be hatching soon.

All of them together.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Re: Egg Eaters

Postby insaniac » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:25 am

Is that green female eating or displaying it's affections at you ?

Must sound quite hectic when you put your head in that tub and they all decide to freak out together ?
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:33 am

insaniac wrote:Is that green female eating or displaying it's affections at you ?
Hehe, nope, she did not enjoy the photo session very much.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby jka » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:37 am

They look really nice, I seriously need to get myself a eggie.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:42 am

For a snake that has no teeth, it still looks quite daunting when making that face...

If I were a predator, I'd think twice too.
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Q Ball » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:30 pm

Nice photo's mittone,

Do you have the locality for all these guys?
I like candlelight dinners, romantic walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Q Ball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:37 pm

Q Ball wrote:Do you have the locality for all these guys?
Yep, so do you. ;)
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Durban Keeper » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:30 pm

Sjoe Eugene. baie mooi. soon you'll be SA's leading supplier of captive bred egg eaters hehe! all those phases are just amazing...
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Axel » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:15 am

mittone_79 wrote:
Q Ball wrote:Do you have the locality for all these guys?
Yep, so do you. ;)

Mittone,

if you have definite localities for the egg eaters would you be interested in providing DNA samples from them?
The samples would be used the research which was discussed in the 'DNA sampling' thread a while back. Taking samples would involve clipping ventral scales, or if you prefer not to do this, shed skins would be just as good.

absolutely gorgeous snakes by the way - what do you guys in SA feed them on?

Axel
Axel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:40 am

Hey Axel

Yeah, I have the definite localities for these snakes and will be happy to send you some DNA.
Do you need from all 6 or just 1? If you need from all 6, do you need them in seperate vials or can everything be in 1?
I should be seeing Quinton this weekend and can see if he has a vial for me. I saw how Bushviper clipped the scales so can do that as I am not sure when they will shed again. How old can the shed skin be if I send that?

Some of these take quail eggs, sometimes 3 a week and the little ones I feed with a tube.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Quintin » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:51 pm

No Probs Eugene... i am battling to fill my vials up.. will have a couple of spare for you. I want to send my vials back to Tony as soon as possible!!! Will pm you a little later to make further arrangements for this weekend.

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Axel » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:27 pm

mittone_79 wrote:Hey Axel

Yeah, I have the definite localities for these snakes and will be happy to send you some DNA.
Do you need from all 6 or just 1? If you need from all 6, do you need them in seperate vials or can everything be in 1?
I should be seeing Quinton this weekend and can see if he has a vial for me. I saw how Bushviper clipped the scales so can do that as I am not sure when they will shed again. How old can the shed skin be if I send that?

Some of these take quail eggs, sometimes 3 a week and the little ones I feed with a tube.

That's fantastic, thanks ever so much for providing samples. I would like a sample from each snake if possible - even if they are all from the same locality. They would also have to be in separate tubes, with clear labelling to show which sample comes from which locality. Even better would be if you could incude the photos you have posted and change the file name so I can see which snake the sample has come from. I'm interested to see how the extensive colour variation, which you have highlighted so well in these pictures, relates to differences in DNA. If you need more vials I can send some out.

Shed skins can be quite old and still be fine. The main thing is that they must be kept dry. If you can get the skin out asap and dry it over a gentle heat source (ie on top of a TV or hi-fi) and store in an airtight plastic bag then it should last for ages.

I've always fancied keeping egg-eaters myself but have been put off with the feeding. Do you have to breed your own quail or will they take shop-bought quail eggs?

Thanks again, Axel.
Axel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:50 pm

Hey

Cool, I will get samples from each snake for you and label them all with photos and let you know what is what.

I think if you can send me some vials it would be great. I can give you some other DNA with localities as well, will PM you with my details.

The local pet shop I buy my mice and rats from sell quail eggs, I buy them in tubs with 6 in. Tube feeding is really not that difficult, you just have to be really gentle with the little guys.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Quintin » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:09 am

Eugene, if you could perhaps bring a lap top or flash drive with this weekend, i can give you all the paperwork regarding the procedures and formats they want the data in...

If Tony or Axel sends you vials, then you should receive all this with the vials. Let me know!

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Egg eaters (Dasypeltis sp.)