Taming grown up egg eaters?

Taming grown up egg eaters?

Postby anthonyhugo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi guys

As per my other post I have 2 egg eaters but I've been too afraid to touch them

They were about 15cm when I got them (wild caught by farm laborers), now the one is about 30cm long and the bigger one about 40c long

If I manage to get over my fear of snakes and start handling them, will I be harming them because they're not used to it?

And is it possible for me to tame them with lots of handling or are they too big now?

Many thanks!
Ant
anthonyhugo
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Taming grown up egg eaters?

Postby Fooble » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Egg Eaters will only calm down with regular handling some will but others will always be a little psycho.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby anthonyhugo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:58 pm

Cool I guess I'll give them a try and hope for the best thanks

I'm going to try feed them manually this weekend for the first time

Got some calcium supplement from a local pet store which the guy told me I must mix in with the chicken egg

I even got some "dish washing" gloves in case they decide to bite me lol, can their bites be painful or totally harmless?
anthonyhugo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby tJokkie_ » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:02 pm

Egg eaters are totally harmless

Their threat display can be quite intimidating

As they dont have teeth you can pick them up without even worrying about pain from a bite, once in your hands they should calm down a lot :)

regards :smt005
Chris
Ball Pythons 1:0:0 Aurora 1:0:0 Macklotts Python 1:0:0
Blood Python 1:0:0 ... and some more :/
tJokkie_
SA Reptiles Member

Postby anthonyhugo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Once I came very close to picking the one up but it put up such a commotion I freaked out completely hehe
anthonyhugo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boskobra » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:46 pm

Take your snake stick and pick him up, normally they calm down on the stick and just put your hand underneath his belly, don't move in front of his head, try and move from behind him. This usually works for me.
Once he is on your hand he won't even realise it.
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. "

Eben Keet
Boskobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby anthonyhugo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks Boskobra I'll try that

I would like to tame them without stressing them out especially now since they're not eating well

I forgot to ask you guys! How much chicken egg should I feed them each time manually and how often!?!?
anthonyhugo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:26 pm

Actually these snakes are rather unusual and will get more agitated if you stroke them with a snake stick. Place your hand flat on the body and pick them up. They have no teeth and will not bite if you have them in your hands. Dont handle them too much either especially just after they have eaten.

How did they get from 15cm to 40 cm? If they were eating eggs dont try to force feed them now. Just give them dove and quail eggs to eat.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:11 am

These are nervous snakes with a great threat display (a complete bluff as stated) you have nothing to fear. If you do pick them up, take care not to drop them. Force feeding/tubing these snakes is no easy feat, it can cause them harm, will stress them out a great deal and do nothing to aid in your current situation. These snakes can go great lengths of time without food and not lose any condition. I remember a forum member (froot I think) pulling a bucket load of egg eaters out of termite mounds in an area designated for construction work. I remember him noting not having seen a single nest in the surrounding area to support even a single specimens diet, let alone a ton of them. These snakes are incredibly hardy and you are stressing unnecessary. Just carry on doing what you where...
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Egg eaters (Dasypeltis sp.)