Copperhead vipers

Copperhead vipers

Postby nols » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:16 pm

I saw a pair of copperhead vipers in a pet store the other day, and i must admit i fell for the snake, the colour, appearence everything about it i liked. Is it a easy snake to keep? What are the pro's and con's about the snake.
No Turbo no Gas, just kicken a$$........
nols
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kouthia » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:03 pm

to be honest nols, i am happier with you asking about the copperhead than the gaboon viper. copperheads are pretty easy to keep and beutiful snakes.

if you happen to get bitten you should only suffer minor necrosis resulting in a piece of your finger turning black and falling off. worst case you have an allergic reaction to the venom and die straight away.

that said, i would recomend it as a first hot (i assume it is your first?) next to the albo tree vipers

good luck and enjoy.. there is plenty husbandry info on the net for this snake as it is widely kept in captivity all over the world.
Kouthia
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby nols » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:31 pm

The only web sites i get is where they talk about the snake in general not about keeping and looking after the snake "copperhead".. so what sites do you recomend i go to.
nols
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kouthia » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:19 pm

Kouthia
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby nols » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:11 pm

Who can help or tell me where to find a pair of copperhead vipers and what do they normally sell for?
nols
SA Reptiles Member

Postby werner » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:07 am

Nols, i've 3 gravid copperhead females. Two northern phase & one tri-phicos. I sell myne for R 200-00 the northern and R 350 the tri-phicos.

I must say these are awesome snakes...not agro at all. I free handle my one male (...OK Only twice),but that is a stupid thing to do.

You will love them
werner
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BWSmith » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:27 pm

Please get proper training, housing, and equipment. I THINK there is a good book on the subject ;) Don't just jump into it.

Werner, maybe it is just a translation or something, but is "Tri-phicos" the same thing as a Trans Pecos Copperhead (A c pictigaster)?

Here is the link to Mardi's caresheet for coppers.
http://www.venomousreptiles.org/articles/7
BWSmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby werner » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:45 pm

Yes that is true, when i sell hots to people i always make 100% sure they have the experiance to keep hots.

Yes BW tri-phicos & trans pecos are the same thing, you must remember i'm an afrikaans bloke.....the english is not always so good.
werner
SA Reptiles Member

Return to North American pitvipers (Agkistrodon sp.)