Incubators

Incubators

Postby PTG » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:05 am

Hi all,

I'm going to invest in an incubator and wanted to get opinions on which ones to consider. My one option is to make one and my other option is buy an incubator that has been professionally made?

The reason I'm concerned is that I'm wondering if it's worth paying a lot more for one thats been built by the pro's and ensuring that the eggs are incubated properly.
PTG
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Incubators

Postby putridity » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:28 am

I have seen a Incubator at Panorama Petshop I think its an exo terra one, goes for over R2000+.
Looks really cool, but its not that big, so you cant keep many clutches inside.
I would go for the Fridge method, even one of those chest freezers.
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll Die Today"
putridity
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamcode » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:29 pm

I have bought an Exo Terra incubator and have been incubating a clutch of Panther chameleon eggs successfully since the 13th of Feb. Early days I know, but I am very happy with the results this far.
chamcode
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:33 pm

I have used the converted fridge method and just recently hatched out some Blood Pythons. So if you have a few snakes your breeding I would go for the fridge unit. All you need is a thermostat two heat pads and maybe a computer fan set to half power to circulate the air for better temperature control. I just placed one heat pad on the back and one on the front. One high and one low.

Chamcode, good luck with the eggs you still have 8 months to go. I was struggling to find a spot to keep the eggs at 23-24 in summer and placed them under my sink as it was 23 on the super hot days.LOL Eggs are a lot hardier than people give them credit. My Dad even dropped the eggs onto the floor face down when they started to hatch. I almost died but they all made it out fine.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WFA » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:53 pm

This is one of my incubators that I have just completed.
Incubator 2b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rassie Erasmus.
http://ballpythonmorphs.co.za
WFA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby putridity » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:39 pm

Very nice setup you have there, WFA
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll Die Today"
putridity
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:40 pm

Very nice man !
Can you give us a quick rundown on how its set up ?I will be setting mine up in the next week or so and it will be nice to hear how you did it ?

Regards
Louis.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:23 pm

Im using the same incubator as chamcode, only branded differently as a mini Coca Cola machine, and I got it for half the price of the exo terra one. It cools down if it needs to and heats up it needs to, to meet the temp that you set it to.

I doubt the Panther chameleon eggs will take 12-13 months to hatch. Dont hear of many cases of them hatching out so late.
The most common is at 6-9 months. Most breeders in the U.S incubate them low, not any higher than 22 degrees.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Incubators