Incubating tray idea?

Incubating tray idea?

Postby ewertb » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:56 am

I've been bitten good... I don't even own anything breedable yet (I have 2 female AFT's that should only be ready next year) but I'm already planning and researching incubators. Now, specifically, what to use for incubation trays inside the incubator.

The latest trend seems to be to suspend the eggs above the substrate instead of having it in contact with it. Not being the biggest of handymen to ever grace this earth, I would prefer to buy something readymade than attempt to build it (except of course when substantial savings can be made by a bit of diy). This got me thinking of using microwave steamers as incubation trays. They generally have a bottom pan that can hold wet substrate, a perforated tray section that can hold the eggs suspended of the substrate and a dome to retain humidity. Basically everything required in one easy to assemble and relatively cheap (bought one yesterday for R40 that holds 8 large chicken eggs) unit.

Has anyone ever tried using a microwave steamer in this fashion and what was the outcome?
African Fat Tailed Geckos 0.2.0
Ball Pythons 2.3.0
ewertb
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Incubating tray idea?

Postby Bushviper » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:44 am

I am pretty sure that could work if you are going to combine two well tried methods. They will still need heat and a thermostat. Always buy the best thermostat you can find. One baby is usually worth more than the price of the thermostat so even just that makes it worthwhile.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Incubating tray idea?

Postby ewertb » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:46 am

Agreed, the plan is to build a styrofoam box incubator with heat pads, thermostat, fans and water bottles along the lines of the various plans available on the forum and net. This microwave steamer is just an idea for a humidity container holding the eggs inside the actual incubator.
African Fat Tailed Geckos 0.2.0
Ball Pythons 2.3.0
ewertb
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Incubators