My new leo incubator!

My new leo incubator!

Postby Leos r gr8 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:08 pm

Hi everybody
This is the incubator that I constructed for my soon to come leopard gecko eggs, it concists of a 100 watt fish tank heater, a bit of perspex(for a viewing window in the lid), a 10 litre lug box and a piece of "weldmesh" (the expensive but worth it stuff that parrot breeders use)
This cost me R120.00 in total to build! :shock: :lol:

I cut a hole in the side and pushed the heater through, leaving the head(bit where you set the temp) outside, I then sealed the hole with silicone.
This was a cheap and easy project and if the incubator actually works I will build a few more!

So, what do you think?
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dragon Breeder » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:19 pm

Wow, it certainly looks very good leosrgr8, although i would cover your leo eggs with sphagnum moss so that there are no drips onto the top of the eggs from condensation on the lid of your tubs.

i have no idea how to do that without covering them with moss but it worked for me.

Erik
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby steve » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:38 pm

looks legit! :D nice work.
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Trayton » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:51 pm

it looks great!you should definately let us know if it works!don't see why it shouldn't!
Trayton
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:04 pm

I really hope it does, with Nelspruit's fluctuating temps it's hard to keep it running at a constant 28 degrees
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Michelle » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:22 pm

That's what I found too. The fishtank heater system does not keep a constant temp. They still hatched out using this system but I like things to be "just right" so I changed to the other system!

You have done a good job. Well done, it looks great!
Michelle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:27 pm

Thanks Michelle
I've got a commercial bird incubator like the ones you build but I was told that that wouldn't get humid enough, I use it to hatch out quail but for 1500 Rand it would be nice if I could incubate leo eggs in there too
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Michelle » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:51 pm

It can work but you must keep close eye on the vermiculites moisture levels. You can cover the eggs and spray every couple of days
Michelle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gorltbt » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:54 pm

Hi there,

I use a bird incubator to hatch my Leo eggs & it works fine. I mist the vermiculite once a week (covering the eggs so that they do not get water directly onto them). This works for me.
If you don't have the time to do something right, where are you going to find the time to fix it.
gorltbt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:30 am

Leosrgr8, I am very impressed with your incubator. In order for the temperature to be more controllable, it would need better thermal insulation from it's environment. Those polystyrene sixpack coolers spring to mind.
It's a nice compact design, hope it works.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby s'mee » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:53 pm

Froot makes a good point. You will have a rapid rate of heat loss through the walls of the container as is and the heater/thermostat will be working over time.
I would insulate the outsides of the container - polystyrene sheeting or the foam rubber they use to make those roll-up camping matresses works well. Glue it to the outside of the box.

Get yourself a minimum-maximum thermometer and run the incubator for a while BEFORE you put any eggs into it to determine the best setting for the thermostat You will probably find that a lower setting will be sufficient once you have proper insulation.
If ignorance is bliss, there must be a lot of happy people out there...
s'mee
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:06 pm

Thanks everybody!
I will definetly try to insulate it a bit more, I think I will take it apart and do the same sort of thing again to one of those polystyrene coolers
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Incubators