Incubator / Small heating rack...

Incubator / Small heating rack...

Postby Cazman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:33 pm

Ok,
So I decided to build my own incubator (To be used for beardies and leo’s). I was using a fish tank and aquarium heater before, this gave me a 50% hatch rate. In most cases water seeped into the egg boxes and the temps where to unstable.

So here is what I have in mind, and would appreciate any input.

90 x 30 x 30cm Cherry melamine
All joints sealed with silicone...
Carel S90 digistat, with heating pad and light bulb (infra red) on one side.
Egg boxes with probe and digital thermometer on other side
A solid piece of melamine with a glass window on the side of the egg boxes.
Door on the side of the heating equipment, sealed with some weather proof strips to retain heat. (Do I need a air vent?)
I was also thinking of getting some insulation and using that inside the incubator, covering it with hardboard or something...
This unit will fit into the cupboard in my main setup.

I was also thinking of using this cupboard to build a small heating rack for the hatchlings. I will have a UV (for beardies – non UV for leo’s) light in there with a timer to simulate daylight.
Cazman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Deon » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:04 pm

I would also add a pc fan for circulating the heat. At that size I would not worry to much about sealing the door as the bulb and heating pad should do fine.
Keep your friends close to you and your enemies closer.
Deon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cazman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:15 pm

I am guessing I would need a PC power supply or 12v dc transformer to run the PC fan. Is the fan a must? (Do I need a small air vent?)

I have had a look at some insulation at Cashbuild, couldn't find any suitable for a small incubator. So I was thinking of using a thin layer of Airothene, and a few layers of aluminium foil (is there a shelf live on foil?). The layers will be placed between the melamine and hardboard inside the incubator (All joints sealed with silicone...).

Is there a formula I can use to calculate the time a UPS will be able to power 60w bulb?
Cazman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:58 pm

My incubator has an airvent, they are very necessary for oxygen for the eggs, I think a closing door would be a good idea because the bulb and the pad would be working overtime to heat up all of that cold air.

My incubator has had a 100% sucess rate out of the fertile eggs and I used no insulation what so ever, just wooden sides and a glass viewing window/opening door, 8 airholes and 4 60 watt bulbs controlled by a thermostat, it also has a shallow tray of watter in the bottom for a bit more humidity.

Please please post pics of yours once it is done!
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:01 pm

Cazman wrote:I was using a fish tank and aquarium heater before, this gave me a 50% hatch rate. In most cases water seeped into the egg boxes and the temps where to unstable.

I'm also you using a fish tank heater I my temperature is constant at 27C my incubator keeps it for a while even when the electricity is off - I really Love Eskom.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cazman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Our power is off for about 2 hours a day, the aquarium drops to about 24deg (even though it is covered with a small blanket.) I will probably get a more stable temp if I buy a bigger heater. The one in there is set to 31deg, but only manages to get the air temp up to 27deg.

Insulating the incubator will reduce the effect of power outages and probably use less electricity to keep a stable temp in the incubator. (Trying to help Eskom out ;) )
Cazman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spoon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:27 pm

Cazman wrote:Insulating the incubator will reduce the effect of power outages and probably use less electricity to keep a stable temp in the incubator. (Trying to help Eskom out ;) )

Eskom is going to become a huge problem if (as has been suggested) they are going to either limit the amount of electricity we use or fine us should we go over a certain amount a month. For those of us that have really big collections of animals (I currently have in the region of 73 pets - snakes, geckos, tarantulas, chameleons, leaf insects,scorpions etc that require heating or have some need of devices that require electricity) does anyone have any ideas on alternative methods of heating etc? Would it be feasible to run heating pads off of a battery powered by solar panels (with a convertor)?
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Trayton » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:24 pm

The one in there is set to 31deg, but only manages to get the air temp up to 27deg.

Aquarium heaters don't heat to the temps they are set at,but rather 2 degrees either above or below the set temp.
Trayton
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cazman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:44 pm

One option might be to put all the reptile enclosures in one room, then heat the room to a certain temp. Depending on the equipment you use, this might save a lot of electricity... (Could you use 1 UV globe for an entire room?)

I am thinking of running a few small heat pads of a UPS, just to provide some heat during the coming winter.
Cazman
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Incubators