My Little Project

My Little Project

Postby LouisAylward » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm new here, but not too new on the reptile scene, have a ball python and 2 Leopard Ghecko's :-) this past week i was busy building a new enclosure for the Speckles and Freckles :P

What do you guys think? Any ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LouisAylward
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My Little Project

Postby Westley Price » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:08 pm

Awesome cage and very professional for a DIY job. You should build the cages commercially and advertise them on the forum ;)

The only constructive criticism I have is that if you are planning on using newspaper or toweling as a substrate, this is perfect, but as soon as you use sand, peat, or any other unconsolidated substrate, the grains would get into your sliding rails and cause problems.

On the next one, I suggest you add a 20mm lip at the bottom of the sliding glass to allow for some substrate.

But awesome enclosure and you are about to have a very happy pair of geckos!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby LizardLover » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Looks immaculate! How much did it cost you in total? Did you use stainless steel or aluminium?

I agree with Westley, start making these commercially!
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:21 pm

I would love something like that for my Arboreal Vipers.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LouisAylward » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the positive feedback, it's been a bit of a learning curve, while I was building it I had more ideas on how to improve, I used aluminium building it as I am in the trade, I found a company here that manufactures a sliding mesh screen that I want to use for the top and have fix glass panels all the way around, so access from the top only, I also think it would look quite wicked in black. I think in total it cost me about 800 bucks to build, but the next one might drop as the trial and error part is over. What do you guys think something like this could sell for?
LouisAylward
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leonthemenace » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi, very nice and very neat. I use the same system and it works like a charm. Concerning the "making them commercially".....you will quickly find that people don't want to pay for quality. Do what i do and you will be safe. Manufacture only on order and only if the deposit is payed to cover your material costs. I have learned the hard way, This hobby must have one of the highest percentage chancer's you will encounter. But with that being said, nice job man. Looking very professional.
If you're not fast......you're food!!
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:26 pm

stunning!
How well does it handle water? On crit maybe
Could also do a section on top for lights, separate to the tank itself.
You can try and sell them here - no matter how awesome it is people are to cheap to spend money on decent enclosures :-(
If you do then you are a better sales man than me ;-)
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Enclosure building