Perspex tank

Perspex tank

Postby ENZO » Wed May 14, 2014 1:31 pm

I am planning on building a water tight tank out of perspex.

I'm not keeping fish or any live animal in the tank but rather
as a display unit with bubbles rising from the bottom as a shop fitting.

Any advice on what sealant to use (planning on marine silicone)
and any other advice would be appreciated.
ENZO
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Perspex tank

Postby Primogen » Wed May 14, 2014 1:53 pm

Perspex has its own special adhesives, they create chemical bonds for perfect seals.
Most plastic shops will stock them but keep in mind you need a very clean nicely fitting joint between your pieces for it to bond.
Silicon in my experience(marine as well) peels off perspex pretty soon and will leak.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Wed May 14, 2014 1:58 pm

Just use regular chloroform.Tape your acrylic up with masking tape so you dont make a mess.I normally assemble the whole tank first using masking tape to hold it together.Use cheap sowing pins to keep all the joints open.Carefully pour the chloroform into the space with a glass eye dropper.Then remove the pins and you have a perfect seal.
You can buy the branded bonding solution but the problem is its not worth while buying a 500ml bottle when you only need 50ml
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Wed May 14, 2014 2:05 pm

I agree with TonyK the branded stuff is no better than other solvents, should have said in my initial post that you can also use other solvents such toluene(sold as thinners for some paints) or even acetone.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Enclosure building