cages from spare wood

cages from spare wood

Postby cornsnakekeepr » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:34 am

Hi, my family is replacing a cupboard and I have told them that I want the old melamine. I will be able to get quite a few boards that are 2.4m x 45cm. So initially I was planning on building a few cages 1.2m x 45cm x 45cm but now I am wondering, is this wide enough? Would a carpet python be comfortable in something that size? Any other display snake suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, have a good day :D
cornsnakekeepr
SA Reptiles Member

Re: cages from spare wood

Postby Dexter » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:56 pm

Hi, yes that should be long enough for a carpet snake but the bigger the better is generally the rule. If you are looking for a good display snake I think American garter snakes make good ones as they are very active and are always moving or something like a red tailed boa.
Dexter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cornsnakekeepr » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. The length isn't the issue, because the board's are 2.4m long I can make the cage as long but I am limited to 45cm width and height. So I didn't know if that was suitable for a carpet python. I am supposed to be taking in someone's red tail when they go overseas but if and when that happens I figured I would buy wood to build a cage. 45cm width would be too narrow and I don't know how to join 2 pieces of melamine, I am diy-challenged.
So do you think 45cm width and height is okay for carpets? Any other snakes that would be good displays for this size cage? I know it is better to buy the cage for the snake you want but I have this pile of melamine and I live my life according to a "waste not, want not" philosophy.
cornsnakekeepr
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:31 am

120 x 45 x 45 is fine for male Carpet Pythons, I keep some of my adult males in 90 x 45 x 45 and they do fine.
Some females might be a bit big for that size but then you could always grow them up in the cage and when\if they get too big, get them a bigger cage then and then you have a cage spare for something smaller again.
I keep my adult female Carpets in 120 x 60 x 60 so not much difference.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby cornsnakekeepr » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:11 am

Thanks. I just didn't want to waste my time building cages that weren't suitable. I am probably going to be able to get 4 cages out of this wood so should be fun. Will definitely follow your advice. So if we were to say carpets were out of the question, would I be limited to things like milks and possibly rhino rats?
cornsnakekeepr
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:19 am

Carpets are certainly not out of the question, they can go in that size cages.

Look at stuff like Antaresia or maybe Rainbow Boas?
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby cornsnakekeepr » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:01 pm

I have definitely thought about spotted pythons, saw a pair at he Durban expo 2 years ago and have been researching them ever since. I admit rainbow boas never even crossed my mind, are they not very secretive though? That's just what I have read online. I admit I over think things so am probably making this more complicated than it has to be. It's just my corns are always hiding so I moved them into a rack and with all my tanks in my room I only want to setup display cages with active animals, like I did with my beardie. You know, give me something to look at.
Will see if I can build a few 120 x 45 x 45 vivs and maybe one or two 90 x 45 x45 then just see what catches my eye at the expo
cornsnakekeepr
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Enclosure building