BITIS CORNUTA

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

BITIS CORNUTA

Postby OPHRYACUS » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:30 pm

HELLO I GO THIS DECEMBER SOUDAFRICA I NEED CONTACTS B THE VENENOMOUS SNAKES SPECIAL BITIS GRATING CONTAC ME
GUSTAV.
OPHRYACUS
SA Reptiles Member

Re: BITIS CORNUTA

Postby drummer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:36 pm

Again this phrase will be used well. "Eish!"
I hear Bangles and breakfast coming!

If legit, there are people that offer permitted tours. I am sure they will post here
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:50 pm

You can not just walk into South-Africa demanding Bitis,especially so if you do not specify from where you are, who you really are,and whether you have already gone through the all the trouble to get your legal export permits from Nature conservation etc etc.
Our laws here are very strict, and as a user has previously stated 'S.A prisons are no fun at all'.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:04 pm

our prisons are friendly and you will get to know each other well .hahaha rather not steal our wildlife
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:14 am

If the guy wanted to steal wildlife he would not be advertising that he is looking for small Bitis now would he? Come on guys show some common courtesy!!!Your behaviour is elitist and disgusting. Do not jump to assumptions.

Gustav, even worse than what you have in Mexico, we have a very strict policy in this country regarding collecting and keeping indigenous snakes. There are a few people who are legally breeding small Bitis species and it is possible to get permits to export these animals. Unfortunately you will learn nothing in Africa is quick or easy and it could take some time. These snakes will unfortunately not be cheap either as the locals have realised what the commercial value is overseas.

If you can tell us where you intend to be in SA we can direct you towards somebody who can help you.

Collecting in the wild is not possible and if you are arrested the authorities do get very upset (similar to Australia except our jails are far worse). Fines and time in jail are not worth it. The fine is usually 3 times the commercial value of the animals you were caught with.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby gaboon69 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:35 am

Bushviper wrote:If the guy wanted to steal wildlife he would not be advertising that he is looking for small Bitis now would he? Come on guys show some common courtesy!!!Your behaviour is elitist and disgusting. Do not jump to assumptions.

Nobody knows the trouble we have seen..our sorrows...in the dog box we are confined.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:31 pm

Moved this to highly venomous, this species' venom is nothing to be sniffed at.

I have to agree with BV, OPHRYACUS has not expained his intentions and the language barrier makes it difficult for him, so passing any judgement would be based on pure assumption. A bit silly IMO.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby gaboon69 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:50 pm

Thats for sure! :)
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:59 pm

If he genuinly wants to see and perhaps photograph Bitis then some of us can help. I have now learned how to do this without giving anything away. Lets not prejudge, and there is no one here more paranoid about collecting than me.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Return to Active archive