BRINGING MY SNAKES WITH ME ..!!

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

BRINGING MY SNAKES WITH ME ..!!

Postby rooikat » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:06 pm

Right ,,this is how it goes .. i'm considering coming back to SA for good if all works out .. I'm first going to make a month long visit hopefully coming over at the end of February maybe mid March to visit a few family and friends and to see what en where i stand with work ..

so basically what this question is all about is .."where do i stand with bringing my snake with me and what are the procedures and cost ,and also what paper work is involved .. i know that alot of you people on here that i have spoken too are pretty clued up on these kinds of things ,and all advise and opinions would be very welcome and appreciated ..

thanks people ... :)
Give me Nature over Human race anytime ..
rooikat
SA Reptiles Member

Re: BRINGING MY SNAKES WITH ME ..!!

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:04 am

It is possible and has been done before. You will require an export permit from the UK (CITES in the case of pythons and boas) and then get an import permit from the province you are going to be moving to. You will have to arrange quarantine for 30 days for the snakes when they get here. The rest is just a lot of work and waiting but it is possible.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby rooikat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:12 pm

how much would a import permit be for JO'BURG ie. and where would quarantine take place ?? and how much would that cost ??
rooikat
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:23 pm

This may sound insensitive and if so I do apologise, but its not like you are bringing over anything you cannot get again here. Aside from the Boiga I would say.
I think you may find it is not worth all the time, effort and money.
If you are too attached to these specific specimens then its a different story of course but otherwise I would say rather buy more when you get here.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rooikat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:03 pm

you know what ROB you might be actually right ,,but i am attached to my snakes but sometimes you just have to make sacrifices i guess ,,it was worth just looking into and finding out ...
rooikat
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Matt Robinson » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:51 pm

I also agree with rob, also this could give you the chance to get some different species
Matt Robinson
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Also hoping to send my snakes back home ;)

Postby Alpaulo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:04 am

Rooikat, I'm also in the process of trying to export my collection to JHB from the UK, trying to source quarantine stations at the moment (any ideas guys?), but have no idea where to start. Also in the process of finding out the correct procedure of going about applying for the CITES permits in the UK. Buying some of my animals in SA wouldn't be an option, as there aren't exactly many or any available in SA yet. As soon as I start making some good progress, I'll give you a shout and let you know what its all about.

I believe the costs in sending our animals alone via airlines from the UK will be somewhat hefty, but hey, I think its worth the sacrifice. :)
Alpaulo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:04 am

Untill you actually start getting through to the right people and you will never be sure about costs and procedures. Sometimes it only SEEMS as if its a near impossible undertaking but it may not always be the case. It may not even cost you an arm and a leg to transport the animals.
The biggest hassle is always getting the permits and the correct procedure to obtain the relevant permits.
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Also hoping to send my snakes back home ;)

Postby rooikat » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Alpaulo wrote:Rooikat, I'm also in the process of trying to export my collection to JHB from the UK, trying to source quarantine stations at the moment (any ideas guys?), but have no idea where to start. Also in the process of finding out the correct procedure of going about applying for the CITES permits in the UK. Buying some of my animals in SA wouldn't be an option, as there aren't exactly many or any available in SA yet. As soon as I start making some good progress, I'll give you a shout and let you know what its all about.

I believe the costs in sending our animals alone via airlines from the UK will be somewhat hefty, but hey, I think its worth the sacrifice. :)

well Alpaulo ,all we can do is but try buddy ..and see what the procedures will be and the costs ,,sometimes if you love your snakes that much then they are worth it ,,, i know my girl in JO'BURG said i should try to bring them with ..coz i said its either me and the snake babe or nothing ,,, en she chose me and the snakes .. :lol: :lol: :lol:
rooikat
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rooikat » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:21 pm

Ive also got s female friend of mine over here who works in exports ,so I'm going to be getting in touch with her because she will have direct access to all those kinds of information ... this might be able to take the headache out of the search over here ,but then i will see if my girl back home can find out the rest for me there ,,, @ALPAULO ...
rooikat
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Alpaulo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:26 pm

Cool man, give her a try and see what she says.

Over here in the UK, I believe its a case of applying for relative permits depending on what animals you are hoping to export, ie pythons, lizards or whatever and getting the relevant permits signed off as well having a vet to sign off your animals on their health.
You could start here, this is the UK's (Defra) equivalent to SA's natcon: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalhealth/cites/ and it should literally tell or describe at least whats needed and where to start. I believe there is also a charge of £5 per species if not intended for commercial purposes per animal, if a Cites permit is required.
I'm sure you're girl in Joburg can get some details up from Natcon there and hopefully (depending on the individual) have the process explained, and possibly put you in contact with all the right people. I'm tying to get some prices together of having my animals shipped over to SA, no word yet on that, but will let you know once I know.

By the way, what are you keeping at the moment Rooikat? Where abouts in the UK are you based? I'm in Crawley, West Sussex. Literally like 10 minutes from Gatwick Airport.
Alpaulo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rooikat » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:08 pm

my list of reps are on here under my signature ..... also im in Canvey island Essex ...

also thanks for all that info bro ..
rooikat
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Alpaulo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:27 pm

My bad, you can see i dont use my eyes hey!

No worries, keep in touch bruv. Essex ey, gotta love em essex girls :)
Alpaulo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rooikat » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:51 am

Alpaulo wrote:My bad, you can see i dont use my eyes hey!

No worries, keep in touch bruv. Essex ey, gotta love em essex girls :)

too dam right hey ... essex girls ,,real Easy :D :lol: :lol: thats why there are so many saffas living in essex when they come over from SA ,because the word has spread all the way to SA that if you go to England ,go stay in Essex for the woman ...but they are hot chicks .. :en dont take no S..t !!
rooikat
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions