Many Horns

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Many Horns

Postby hunter1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:44 pm

Hey I'm pretty new to this site, I am looking for good advice or tips on feeding new born many horn adders. Good methods to get them eating.Thanks.
hunter1
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Many Horns

Postby insaniac » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:55 pm

Hey hunter1 !!!

Welcome !

Geckos are obviously on the top of the list, otherwise, scented mouse pinkies can do the trick.

I've heard that the commercial scents don't do the trick so you gonna have to scent the pinks with a real gecko by putting them into the tub with some live ones or just rubbing the gecko against the pink should do nicely too...

I don't know of any other ways, but I'm sure one of the two should work fine.

Enjoy the site !
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:04 pm

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby gaboon69 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi there
Force feeding neonates is both strenous to the animals and keepers.
Some will differ.
Collect a few tropical house geckos and cut them into smaller parts which you can leave overnight.
These freeze well too.
Converting to pinks might take a bit longer, but I have had good results too in the past.

Refrain from offering large items, even if it seems that the neonates are capable of holding these down.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby garth » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:17 am

In the interests of ethics, make sure the geckos are humainly euthanased before they are quartered (I'm sure thats what you meant Gaboon69)
Whats this nonsense about genetically modified food being dangerous and not tasting good!?! I had a leg of salmon yesterday and it was delicious!
garth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 am

Garth I am sure all the members of this site are reptile enthusiasts if not animal lovers and snipping up a live animal would not cross their minds. This does however open a whole new debate about euthansia and when exactly a reptile is dead.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby garth » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:14 am

Of course not Bushviper. I'm sure its the last thing that would cross anybodies mind, but I shall start a debate on, not only humane euthinasia (of reptiles and feeder stock), but also on ethical treatment of feeder animals.
Cheers
Whats this nonsense about genetically modified food being dangerous and not tasting good!?! I had a leg of salmon yesterday and it was delicious!
garth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bob H » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:15 pm

We always here a lot about gut-loading our feeder insects. It seems like that would make sense for feeder lizards too. I am sure the nutrtional value would go up for lizards that had been gut loaded on insects that had been gut loaded with nutricious food that had been supplement with vitamins and minerals.
Bob H
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:49 pm

I actually enjoy feeding only Ptenopus to all my snakes, just to hear the eckos of distress in the dark...you know, thats what keeps me in line every day...almost like my chimpanzee pet which does my garden for free in exchange for candy bars.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby hunter1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks Gaboon,
Will give it ago...
hunter1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby hunter1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Another question, how venomous is a many horned adder? WIll I lose fingers, or will I just be in alot of pain and hate myself for such a stupid mistake??
hunter1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:00 pm

haha...good question...venom is virtually the same as that of the puffadder but yields are smaller.
Keeping in mind that cornuta specimens of 0.65 m are not unheard of, you should not let the yield idea play with your mind too much though.
I'm not proud to admit it at all, but I have seen an I.C.U in hospital before due to a cornuta bite..hehe.
If only I can get the feeling back in the tip of my finger Im so proud to still have.
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Active archive