small and furry!

Anything other than a reptile or any other category covered on this forum.

small and furry!

Postby Bernice » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:53 am

Im going to get me some gerbils! *Glee* :-D

I cant wait! the cage for them is arriving on saterday, and Im hoping I can pick them up the same day... will post pics!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Re: small and furry!

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:15 am

Bernice I hope you know Gerbils are illegal in Gauteng. They make great pets and rather feed them lots of raw vegetables. They must have mealworms or some other animals protein if you want them to breed. They are longer lived than hamsters and are pretty flighty. Dont ever grab them by the tail though.

Your cage can never be too big. They love to bounce around and play.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby fredsmith » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:25 pm

@ BV - Illegal in Gauteng huh? Didn't know that... I kept a few last year that I bought from a pet shop in Boksburg. I haven't got them anymore as they wound up being sacrificed during the great rat shortage of 2008, but was never informed in any way by anyone that keeping them was a crime.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:43 pm

Oh hek! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks for the heads up BV! I did my research as far as feeding/handling went and knew all that stuff... but what my research didnt through up was that they are illegal! :oops:

Do we know why the Gauteng authorities in thier wisdom decided that gerbils are illegal? :smt012

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:01 pm

Well all exotic rodents are listed under Schedule six animals together with Ferrets, Bob tail quail, Nutria and Chukka partridges. These are animals which have been deemed to be potentially invasive. The only ones that are excluded are the Golden or Syrian hamsters The ban does include Chinchillas, Russian dwarf hamsters, and all Gerbils. In the past you could get away by saying that it was indigenous but that loophole has ben closed and now you require a permit for indigenous gerbils as well.

I would class this under the same as the law that says if you want to sweep your pavement outside your office or house you are guilty of a crime if you did not sprinkle water first. Like spitting on the road, this is one of those laws that nobody is going to really care about.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby jka » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:09 pm

@bushviper, When was this law inplememnted?

I had a few dwarf hamsters and a guinea pig and was planning on getting gerbils as well all from my local pet shop :oops: but then (luckily) I discovered reptiles and now I'm looking at rodents through different eyes.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:22 pm

This law has been around since 1983. This is only applicable to Gauteng but I think we can assume that Mpumalanga. Limpopo and North West also have it from the old Transvaal ordinance which they re-worked for themselves. The Cape provinces seem to ban everything so I guess it is safe to assume you cannot keep them there either.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bernice » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:29 pm

Oh for pity sake... good luck enforcing that one... every other little kid has a russian dwarf hamster!

Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby katesmith » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:02 pm

well i think that the only people that will be in trouble are the petshops selling them. They get "raided" every now and again. But i also think its better because the average kid wouldn't have a clue how to keep gerbils properly and the petshops have no idea either.

WRT gerbils, they love making tunnels in that fine sand so if you can fill a tank with that for them they'll be really happy. also they dont do well alone. Its the worst cruelty for them to be kept alone.
Protein is very important, they love live prey.
katesmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:20 pm

In this regard. Doesn't that rule apply to all exotic mammals in Gauteng?
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:14 pm

Nasicornis that law has been put on hold and we are waiting for them to decide about its implimentation. Currently the only one they enforce is the exotic rodent one.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby marina.makhanya » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:43 pm

Still, why gerbils became illegal? They are most interesting rodents after rats!
marina.makhanya
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Other Pets