Lowering humidity for Desert Species.

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Re: Lowering humidity for Desert Species.

Postby ClintonT » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:55 pm

Howzit Dean,

Had a chance to check for the dehumidifying kits, but they only had the scented ones which won't be good at all. I will try another spot tomorrow if can.

Cheers
Clinton
Clinton Thomson
Just Ball Pythons
http://justballpythons.wordpress.com

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

"You were born an original...don't die a copy." - John Mason
ClintonT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pazaz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:42 am

That sounds like a nice product and off course it was design to dehumidify air. So I would say you should go for that. The lower humidity that you see is due to the lowering of the tempreture because of the air flow. So if you add the dehumidifier I think you will get below 40%.

Please keep post the results.

Froot
The indicators is just there to show you that the pellets have reach there capasity and needs to be re-activated by heating them up, iether in an oven or microwave oven.
Pazaz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby animalfanatic » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:36 pm

Sorry guys just a sudden brainwave!

They use rice in salt shakers to get rid of moisture, right?

So if you had to install a low power inlet fan, aswell as a outlet fan (to create circulation), with a ''siff'' full of rice over your inlet holes wouldn't that work?

I have no idea how effective it will be, but will be alot easier to get hold of and alot cheaper!
animalfanatic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pazaz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:15 pm

It is worth a try. If it works it will save a lot of money and the trouble.
Pazaz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby animalfanatic » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Just a thought, will be cool if it works!
animalfanatic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:58 pm

:-) might just give it a bash. I've managed to find a dehumidifier & will let you guys know of my findings once I've tested it for a couple days...
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:41 pm

I have heard of guys in Durban just keeping these snakes without fussing to much and the snakes doing really well for years, provided the cage has good ventilation and they are fed on Geckos.
Very little effort.
I am sure there are people who can verify this with some first hand accounts.

Regards
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:35 pm

Right, well I managed to get some Silica gel sachets... lots of them! Filled a 2l tub & placed it in the enclosure under the air intake. The humidity dropped down to 47% after a couple hours. That's almost half of what it actually is outside the enclosure so I'm very pleased. :-)
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:50 am

Be careful of silica gel. If it becomes a fine dust (from handling or just breaking down) the snakes can breathe it in and this will kill them.

I have never heard of anyone having problems with humidty and desert species in KZN to the extent that these measures will be required.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:52 pm

I'll be sure to check on the selica regularly, thanks BV. You told me humidity is a huge issue with these guys & keeping it down will be a challenge... you were right, it was a challenge, but I feel that I have succeeded, however unnecessary some people might think the use of a setup such as this might be. I want my snakes to be happy, this is as close to their natural conditions a home in Durban will ever get. Warm, dry & well ventilated.

You guys gotta realize I am practically right on the coast in mid summer & I stay in a granny flat with a corrugated roof, it is extremely humid inside my house, ask anyone who has been here. If I had a snake room or a place which was not quite as hot & better ventilated, im sure these measures I took might not have been necessary...
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:35 pm

WEll you seemed to have knocked the humidity problem on the head, and no one can fault you for the effort you have put in mate.....
What about the feeding? I am just curious myself becuase i have been told these animals need to be kept on a strict diet of Geckos and Skinks.
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:38 pm

Well thank you Amphibian, it's actually been coming down to a constant of 42% lately. I keep two gecko's in my freezer at all times & I feed them once every 10 days, they have no problems taking thawed gecko's off tongs or out of my hand. If I happen to come across a couple running around outside, I just catch them to replenish my stock. I don't have plenty, but there always seems to be a few gecko's around at night :-)
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:02 pm

I've found that feeding the beetz once every 2 weeks seems to do the trick. You don't want to overfeed them, but if yours are doing well so far on once every 10 days then there's nothing wrong with that i'm sure...
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:11 pm

Based purely on your levels of success with keeping this species Serpy, I think I'm gonna drop my feeding down to once every two weeks as well. Thanks for that! :-)
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Durban keeper this all depends on the size of the food offered. If the snake shows barely a bulge then you have to either feed more or more regularly. I had T polystictus for many years and he would eat an almost weaned mouse every week.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes