Albino Burm Python

Albino Burm Python

Postby Krissy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:30 pm

Hey,

I have a beautiful baby albino burm and she's the best!
she's so chilled & very tame already but was wondering when she's a grown adult, would they turn on you at any time even though she's tame now?

She is handled alot and loves being out! the only time she strickes out or hisses is when she's in the blue or waiting to be fed which is normal?!
Krissy
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Albino Burm Python

Postby Bernice » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:57 pm

From what Ive heard/read on this forum... it depends on the snake... Some stay mellow into old age :cool: , while others become the devil incarnate! :evil:

The striking out when in the blue and hungry sounds like happy healthy snake behaviour to me thou... :D

Enjoy your baby and keep interacting with her... can only do good
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Krissy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:06 pm

hi bernice,

it's weird that they can be so tame when babies then for some to become viscious when older...!! depending...like you say!

i heard a story a little while ago about a couple that bought up a baby albino burm...it was very tame & spoilt!!
it slept with them in their bed some nights!

when it was older...the lady woke up the one night & found their burm lying at the end of the bed with it's head held up, sizing them out!!!
Krissy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Alpaulo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:38 pm

Your Albino Burm is young as you say, they sometimes have their mood swings, and always seem hungry, hence why I it had struck out at you. Overall with all the Albino Burms, I've found that they're typically gentle giants as they've grown. Don't think you have anything to worry about, seeing as your baby is 'tame' so to speak.
Alpaulo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby joef_conner » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:14 pm

I have one and I love him to bits. He's a grumpy old man but he's definately a gentle giant.
joef_conner
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Iggy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:57 pm

Snakes never become "tame" in the domestic cat sense (and even they have their bad days!) - they become used to being handled. A small change which may completely escape your attention, be it in your behaviour, your smell, or just something in the snake's environment, can trigger a completely different response to the one which you have become accustomed. Burmese pythons become very big and strong. Rule is....respect, respect, respect. And never underestimate.
But enjoy!
Perry's Bridge Reptile Park
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
"Through Inspiration Comes Conservation"
http://www.snakes-uncovered.com
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Iggy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:00 pm

BTW sleeping with your python is not respect, that's just asking for trouble! What were they thinking??!! :shock:
Perry's Bridge Reptile Park
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
"Through Inspiration Comes Conservation"
http://www.snakes-uncovered.com
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:41 am

Hi.
Burms tend to mellow out with age, not become more agro.
The idea is to handle your python with care and respect now so that trust between you and her can be established. Realize though that this is a one way street in that you want your animal to trust you 100% but unfortunately you must never extent the same courtesy. Understand that a large (or even medium) size burm can kill you and you might do something unwittingly to initiate this.
Burm are like the old grannies of the python world. They are sweeties 99% of the time, but every now and then they can let a nice long fart go in everybody’s company...
Enjoy her and treat her with respect and you guys should have a long, fun time together!
Cheers
DAN
Psalms 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby joef_conner » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:44 am

Haha I've been tempted to just let my big guy find a spot in my room to sleep. But I know I'd wake up with it in my bed because that will be the warmest spot! But yes you have to always be on your guard.
joef_conner

Postby Krissy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:49 am

Iggy wrote:BTW sleeping with your python is not respect, that's just asking for trouble! What were they thinking??!! :shock:

Haha!! that's what i want to know!!! but i suppose people do get very close to their pets...but yes they are asking for trouble as well as they know their pet...anything could happen!!
Krissy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby joef_conner » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:45 am

My burms love giving me hugs :)
joef_conner

Postby Krissy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:09 pm

how quick can they grow??? does it depend on how much they eat a week?
on the curious side...how much can babies/medium sized burms eat in a week???
Krissy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:53 am

Hi Krissy.
They grow FAST, real fast...it does depend on food intake to some extent, but they are not fish and they won't stay smaller with less food/ smaller enclosures.
Burms, though cute when babies get BIG and as such are an advanced snake. They can hit 3m in one year (sometimes more) and at this stage need more than one experienced keeper to handle them.
I feed my babies on a 25% of body weight every 5 days until they hit 18 months. Start her off on rats (right out the egg-mice have NO place on a big snakes table...ever). To many people buy a baby burm cos it is cute and then 6 months later freak out cos it is now eyeing the dog and bigger than what you were expecting in 4 years. Luckily you have found the forum, there are lots of good people here that can help.
If you are concerned about the size they get to or unsure that you will be able to handle a 5-6m animal in years to come than perhaps selling her now as a baby to somebody who can handle that kind of deal might be better for her in the long run. Perhaps starting with something smaller is better?
Not saying you cant take care of her, just putting teh option out there...
Cheers
DAN
Psalms 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby hunter1 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:58 pm

Hey Dan,
The Burm is over a year old now, and its only just reached a metre. My mate took it on as a rescue animal, he had to tube feed it to get it going. We have had it for 3 monthes now its doubled in size in the last 2 monthes, but does not feed well at all. (although recently she has been alot better) She will only eat curtain colour mice although she will kill all of them, and will only eat once a week. She wouldn't take rats till recently, and still doesn't eat them always. She was shedding badly, but we seem to have found a way to help her, and every shed is getting better, and better. We are also trying to get rid of mites on her, she has not had much luck. We do have afew boa's so have some experince with big snakes, I guess Burms are the next step up from Boa's. Any advice in looking after Krissy's burm will be really helpful.
hunter1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby joef_conner » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:01 am

I must agree with Burmbuddy on the growth warning. Mine is a year old and close on 2,5m now. I really recomend she gets time with a large one to see ow they react and the their general behaviour. I'll admit they will calm down alot because they at these huge sizes they dont have alot of enemies ;) but if they do strike then it becomes dangerous.

Feed that little guy up!!! Seriously a little bit of overfeeding will kickstart his whole metabolism. I give my big male, on occasion, a really big meal that stretches his stomache nicely. This is more like how they eat in the wild. One big meal for 6 months. So dont be shy :)
joef_conner

Next

Return to Burmese pythons (Python molurus)