B. cornuta: nice pics

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Re: B. cornuta: nice pics

Postby Rob » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:40 am

My previous female measured 61cm when she died. She was collected around 1 year prior. The topic is on this forum somewhere. I still have her in a bottle.
There is a record in a Bitis paper I have, of a 75cm captive born female cornuta which belonged to Godi Kunzi in the 80s. I know TP is referring specifically to wild specimens but picture that snake, mustve been a monster..
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby xerophak » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:25 pm

I feed my young cornuta once every week. much to feed? they do not not obese.

your think adult in 2 years? i can try breeding?

thanks
xerophak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby steve » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:45 pm

xerophak i think this is to much feeding, in the wild this species would never come into contact with this much prey, despite that they are not obese it doesnt replicate what the feeding cycle in the wild would be. Bitis sp are also slow growing snakes, i think 2years is a bit early for breeding, i think 3years is a good age to concider breeding.
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:29 pm

Yes, too much feeding, obesity will show later. try evry three weeks to a month. I know Bitis armata become sexually mature in the fourth year (wild) so same should stand for cornuta. No need to rush things (as my ex :( always said!!)
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby xerophak » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:47 pm

thank you very much, follow these steps, I wanted to ensure
xerophak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:41 pm

Nice pics everyone.
It always amazes me how well this species can climb, and how they often prefer the higher areas.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:07 pm

These 'Crystal pools you were refered to earlier in the thread is it the ones at Cederberg or those on the coast in the gordons bay area? Im heading up to cederberg next weekend and would love to get some good pics of some of these small adders or at least the B.rubida.

If not in the cederberg area, can someone maybe give some valuable tips on finding them there(time of day, High or low on slopes etc.)
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Active archive