Bitis gabonica venom potency?

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Bitis gabonica venom potency?

Postby tryan23 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:59 pm

i was wondering how potent the gaboon viper's venom is just in case by chance i get bit. i've been handleing hot snakes for over 10 years now.. and i can't find anything accurate on gaboon vipers.. some sites say just swelling and pain and other sites say lethal
tryan23
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bitis gabonica venom potency?

Postby Whitelipp » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:03 pm

Well bud gaboons have a cardiotoxic venom so it attacks the heart and cardiovascular system. You will have painful, progresive swelling. Not allot is known about their venom and the effects on humans because bites from these snakes in the wild are rare.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:05 pm

Anyone telling you its just swelling and pain shouldnt be dishing out advice bud. You really really dont want to underestimate these guys.Chances of making it without serious long term implications afterwards is very slim.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:09 pm

Well yea its not to be taken lightly. Sorry gaboon 69 shouldve put that down aswell. Was thinking it but never typed it. Gaboon venom is not to be underestimated.Venom yield is plenty and its potent stuff.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:13 pm

Venom can do a lot more than give you heart problems.Internal bleeding, etc etc.Do your homework on the snakes you keep bud.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Copperbob » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:27 pm

There have even been cases of people dying 6 months after a bite due to heart or kidney failure.
I feel very sorry for anyone unlucky enough to get bitten, make no mistake these are very dangerous animals and pain and are the least of your worries!
Copperbob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BB Gabonica » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:41 pm

Take a look at Puff Adder bites. That will give you a remote idea of what a Gaboon's venom is capable of. Then factor in the cardiotoxins and the sheer amont of venom injected. I've heard stories of people collapsing within minutes from shock. Not pretty...
BB Gabonica
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:53 am

Well gaboon69 I dont keep gaboons yet but I'm still learning new things about them as I go.So what I know is limited.But now I know a bit more.Thanx mate.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:18 am

? Wasnt referring to you WL.
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:56 pm

Hahaha ok dont worry about it mate. Sorry my mistake. But I mean still, I'm not an expert and I can still learn plenty.I mean a man that says he has learnt everything is an idiot.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Copperbob » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:41 pm

Thats why I love this website, I ve learnt more here over the past few months then I have reading books the last 10 years.
Copperbob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:16 pm

All good bud :) Very true...We all find ourselves constantly baffled when attempting to understand the mysterious world our architect placed us in.The more we learn about this place, the more we realise how little we actually know.
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:34 pm

The worst adder bite in Africa. The amount of venom involved makes this a major medical emergency. The venom is not as toxic as a puff adders venom however it gives you about 3 times as much so it is like being bitten by at least two puff adders for every strike. The gaboon also has a habit of hanging on, so the amount injected is massive. Treatment starts with 10 to 20 vials of antivenom which is twice what you would use for a puff adder. Recovery without some lingering after effects is rare and most people have heart or kidney problems for the rest of their lives (if they survive the bite).
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby ljd » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:09 pm

if you have access to the dangerous snakes of africa by Bill Branch and Steven Spawls you should find the answers to all your questions in there.
ljd
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chantel » Wed May 27, 2009 6:01 am

You DONT want to get bitten by a Gaboon! My first bite was an adult gaboon in 1976. I was very lucky. Full bite with both fangs. I was unconscious in about 10 minutes and my heart stopped twice on the way to hospital. Luckily I had a friend whos neighbour was a nurse and he brought her straight over. I was alreafy unconscious at that stage. She got my heart going and kept me breathing all the way to hospital. 11 ampoules of serum and 6 days in ICU and all the necrosis cut out of my thumb which took about a year to heal up and Im still here!!
Regards
Gavin
Gavin & Chantel
Chantel
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Active archive