Sanzinia

Sanzinia

Postby garth » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi all

The Sanzinia finally arrived last sunday and are settling well into their 500euro, climate controlled vivarium (that was supposed to only cost 150euro and is why my wife is pissed off with me) and the female (Tiana) already has one rat under the belt. They are settling in well and I am super-chuffed with them. Next on the list, A. madagascariensis. The male (Tojo) is quite a large snake and very chilled out. He spends the majority of his time on the ledge basking while Tiana hides in the flower pot.
I'm hoping to seperate them soon, but a second viv seems very far away.

Here are a few pics

Vivarium furniture and decor

Tojo, the boy

Tojo

Tiana

Tiana

They are unrelated and were born in Sweden and Denmark. Both are around 6 years old and a bit on the podgy side.

The previous owner has seen their tails locked and suspects that Tiana may be gravid, but Sanzinia are known well for phantom pregnancies, so I'm not holding my breath for babies just yet. I have a well planned and controlled programme for them which I'm sure will yield babies in 2011 or 2012 :smt015 .

I am very interested in boosting my collection with some dwarf bitis pairs and some SA colubrids (spotted house, skaapies, etc) in later years and I intend to use CB sanzinia to trade with. But lets not count our chickens before they hatch.
Whats this nonsense about genetically modified food being dangerous and not tasting good!?! I had a leg of salmon yesterday and it was delicious!
garth
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Sanzinia

Postby 10gbooj » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:33 pm

Wow Garth, congratulations on those. They are really good looking and i wish you all the best in your breeding project :)
Ps. You can always send some down to our awesome land if you feel the urge ;)

Regards
Jacques
10gbooj
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Karin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:18 am

those are two really good looking snakes - congrats on getting them, and good luck with your breeding attempts.
Karin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:40 am

Wow. Quite a different looking boa.

Congrats and good luck.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:42 am

Wow! They look in great shape. Very little green on them though, were they sold to you as the mandarin phase? I've seen many photos of these with the same colouring being called mandarin phase. It seems to me there is an intermediate between the normal green phase and the true mandarin phase.

I love these snakes and I really enjoy seeing photos of them. I wish you all the success with them, congrats.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:21 pm

Very nice and possibly a bit chubby. The male could do with skipping a few meals. Dont try to drop his weight too quickly or else he will possibly never recover. Just offer him smaller food every 10 days or so.

It is usually possible to tell if the female is gravid by her colour. They tend to go almost black when they are gravid.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Constrictor Girl » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:16 pm

So so beuatiful!!! Congrats!!
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading
"We are only limited by your imagination"

-Never argue with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference-
Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:32 pm

Man, I what I would give to work with these beauties! They are awesome snake and you are one lucky guy to be working with them!

And also congrats on getting a CB pair. They are sure to do a million times better than any WC animal would.

Keep us posted with any developements.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mitton » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:00 pm

Such HOT snakes, all the best with them!!
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby garth » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:59 pm

Froot, they were sold to me as mandarin phase. BTW, is there any link between Sanzinia m. voltany and the mandarin phase? There are still quite a few Sanzinia and Acrantophis madagascariensis floating around this side on the cheap. Last heard of a female green phase for £250 and 0.2 juv ground boas (not Dumerils) for £200 for both. They're next on the list.
Whats this nonsense about genetically modified food being dangerous and not tasting good!?! I had a leg of salmon yesterday and it was delicious!
garth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:53 pm

Hi Garth
You will no doubt get dwarf adders in Europe.
If you come looking in DeHoop I will shoot you! :twisted: :twisted:

Stay well

T
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby garth » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:39 am

Damn Tony, it was all planned so well, Brekkie in Rooi Els, Whale watching in Hermanus, steal endangered adders in Die Hoop.....now I must change the itinerary AGAIN!!! There certainly are dwarf adders in Europe and I bet you there are healthy colonies of armata and albanica(, et al).
Off subject slightly, but hows the book coming along?
garth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:24 pm

And now?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby garth » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:45 pm

Sorry, that should be for another thread or PM. Was referring to Tony's new Viper book.
garth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby garth » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:37 pm

Just out of interest, there's an adult pair of mandarin phase Sanzinia in the UK for sale for £600. Cheap if you've got that much (+ shipping, etc) burning a hole in your pocket. I suspect its another frustrated hobbiest that can't get them breeding.
garth
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Madagascan boas (Acrantophis & Sanzinia sp)