photoshop resizing.HELP.

Suggest a new board or feature for the forum. Share your ideas on how we can make SAReptiles the best and most user friendly forum possible.

photoshop resizing.HELP.

Postby nvlooi » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi

After editing photos in PhotoShop, they are up to 23mb in size, the main problem is when I resize them to the rigth size they are basically unvieweble (real bad pixel quality). I don't know if anybody has experience with PhotoShop that can maybe help me so that the quality is not lost when resizing.

Thanks
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Re: photoshop resizing.HELP.

Postby BushSnake » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:10 pm

As what file type do you save the image (*.JPG, *.BMP, *.TIF, etc). If you resize a photo from your camera (JPG file) it should reduce in size quite a lot. For web purposes you can normally resize to about 700 - 800 pixels in the longest dimension, and let the other dimension be chosen automatically. The average web photo should be a JPG file and should be between 50kB and 150kB, depending on the compression used. A TIFF or BMP image will be considerably larger in size! If this does not solve your problem, post a bit more detail about your steps in resizing and I'll see if I can help!
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby froot » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:07 pm

Open the file in MS paint and hit CTRL+W. Enter a percentage TAB percentage you want to reduce the image by, I usually use 20%. Then save it as type .JPG.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:18 am

Yip Froot, you spot on there mate. I'm a art director and graphic designer and I will always resize my pics for web use in this method.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:56 am

If nvlooi was using Photoshop, then I would guess he wants to find what he is doing wrong in Photoshop... So here goes:

1) open image (any given format)
2) click on Image - Resize - Image Size
3) make the longest dimension (either width or height) 600 pixels (note the pixel unit!)
4) Click file - save as and save under DIFFERENT filename, and make sure the format is set to JPEG (*.JPG)
5) Click save, and then move the JPEG option window's quality slider to about 6 or 7 or 8, and click OK then.

That should do the trick as well. Admittedly MS Paint goes a lot quicker, but because I normally have to do dust removal and add a watermark or something like that, doing it in Photoshop or Photopaint works well for me.
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake

Postby nvlooi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:08 pm

Thanks guys for the help it works. Can't wait to ad some of my new photos, Im still learning alot about photography and the editing process but it is so much fun!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:13 pm

Seems like it doesn't work properly.
What I did:
1) opened RAW image in PS
2) edited it
3)
3) make the longest dimension (either width or height) 600 pixels (note the pixel unit!)

4) viewed afterwards looked fine, but when I opened it too view afterwards it looked cr@p ( bad quality). The size is now 2.37mb. Pixels 600x409.

What am I doing wrong?

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:27 pm

2.37mb for a 600 x 409 pixel image is not right! I tried the steps with a RAW photo (*.CR2 from Canon 30D) and the original unedited TIFF file is 23.4MB, the 600X400 pixel TIFF is 735kB and the 600X400 pixel JPG is 160kB (quality level of 9).

I can't really think what is going wrong, but what you could do is open the RAW file, preferably in your camera's own software (Canon Digital photo professional, Nikon equivalent, etc) and save it as *.TIFF. This will result in a more general format lossless image. From there on you can do the editing. Save it under a new name, and only then resample it to another new filename but keep it as a TIFF file. Lastly, convert the 600*409 pixel TIFF file to a JPG file. Even though this is a very long procedure, this should at least show you where the problem lies.

What camera are you using? PS is not always very good at converting RAW images to TIFF files, but this does not sound like the problem though.
BushSnake

Postby nvlooi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:55 pm

I have a 'eos1D mk11' and 350D. I use the 350D much more in the field because it is alot smaller and lighter. Also depends on the lenses used-'EF-S or EF'. Im very new to the photography seen and learning new stuff everyday!

I followed all the steps, it is savde as a jpeg image. Will upload later and see how they look.
Thanks for the help.

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Suggestions And Technical Support