Flap-neck wont eat,pls help!

Flap-neck wont eat,pls help!

Postby Ales » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:53 pm

Hey im new on this site and love reptiles.A friend of mine recently found me a Flap neck cham and it does not want to eat.Ive offered it mealworms,beetles and cockroaches in a bowl.In the day i leave it in a aviary outside in the sun but now that its winter it is too cold at night so I take it in my warm dining room on a small tree to sleep.I dont know why it doesnt want to eat so can anyone pls help :?:
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Flap-neck wont eat,pls help!

Postby Bushbaby » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:22 pm

It may not be eating because it is winter. Mine has gone of her food as well.

Alternatively try crickets. Place her in a container on a secure branch and put the crickets in there with her.

Also remember to mist her so that she does not dehydrate.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Chamssss » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:49 pm

Yes it might be because of the winter but it shouldnt have gone totaly off foo, I think.

Becuase its female it might be gravid, when a female is gravid she goes off food about a week before she lays then she will eat after she has layed her eggs.

I cant give you any more info because I do not know much about your situation, Im sure you will figure out your problem, I will be away for a while so, good luck
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:23 pm

Thanks guys.I dont think shes gravid cause shes not fat.Might she be too stressed to eat?
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Indigenous chameleons can be tricky things to keep; Flap necks have a well deserved reputation for being difficult. Depending where she came from she might be expecting to be in hibernation. Our farm is already enjoying sub zero temperatures and I haven't seen a flap neck for months.

At night she should probably be kept at between 5 and 10c - if she is indoors in a heated room it will be too warm. Most chameleons thrive best when the night temperature is between 5 and 10c (or even more) lower than the day time.

Try silkworms; most chameleons can't resist them. Stress could easily be the problem - these things don't like activity nearby.
See photos of Malaysian insects on my Facebook page: Exotic Insects
Breeding Insects as feeder food by David Haggett now available from Amazon
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks.So do you think it will be ok to leave it in its aviary out in the garden even in these very cold nights?Cant it die of cold?
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:11 pm

It really depends on the aviary and the temperatures. In the wild they will find suitable hiding places to stay out of the worst of the frost and cold but in most aviaries such hiding places don't exist, so yes - it would die of cold. An unheated room or garage would be better than an inhabited room.
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:19 pm

Well it actially isnt a dining room it is a extra part built up.It is a patio area that we closed in.It is away from the active rooms of my family and it does not see us at all.The room has glass sliding doors on 2 sides and the sun comes in throught the day.She walks allong the branches into the sun in the morning and afternoon to get warm.She stays light green and seems happy just that she wont eat,she wont even look at food.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:37 pm

There are many variables involved - I don't even know what part of South Africa you are in. Many chameleons go on a short hunger strike and she could be happy enough for a week without food, especially if it remains cold. Water is essential regardless. Try different foods. Don't let her go below 5c but try to keep her less than 10c at night but a little more won't hurt.

How long have you had her (from when your friend caught her)? Where is she from? (Some flap necks come from warmer parts, etc...)

Given the poor reputation of flap necks in captivity it may be worth considering putting her back in exactly the same spot she came from and investing in a Veiled chameleon.
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:46 pm

Ive had it for about 2 weeks.It came from parys in the free state.Im staying in Joburg,Gauteng.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:40 am

Well the sunlight through the glass has almost no value besides a bit of ambient heat. UV does not penertate the glass enough to make it worth while.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Ales » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Ok thanks guys.Ill try reliese it this sunday and get a veiled instead.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Matt Robinson » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:26 pm

Are you going to go release it back in parys?
Matt Robinson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:01 pm

I think so,my family goes hiking there sometimes.Parys has quite allot of reptiles.Last time i went hiking there i found chameleons,tortoises,eggeaters,centipede eaters,agamas,big skinks and a bit more
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Matt Robinson » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:25 pm

Thats good :) Please do release it where you found it. Do a search on this site about releasing reptiles where they were found.
Matt Robinson
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chameleons