white stuff on nose

white stuff on nose

Postby neill » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:00 am

Hi I have a male veiled and he is very good condition just for one thing there is like a white crystel stuff on the one side of his nose. The other side is clear, please advise me what needs to be done. He has a very large cage,2.0 uv light(new),basking area of 30 deg, has a humidifier on a timer, gets about 6 to 7 large crickets a day with calsium(t-rex), his droping has bown and white in them and he is very active if you open the cage he come to you to be hand fed
Salt and Pepper Hedgehogs (Male & Female)
neill
SA Reptiles Member

Re: white stuff on nose

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:14 am

Don't know about the white stuff but your Uv light is incorrect, Natural sun light is the best but not always practical. When keeping your chameleon indoors a 5.0 UV is the best - 2.0 are virtually useless for most chameleons.
Not knowing something is normally a milestone on the way to knowledge!
1.1.0 Elaphe Gutatta Gutatta
0.1.0 BCI Boa Constrictor Imperator
1.0.0 BCC Boa Constictor Constrictor
1.0.0 Orthriophis Taeniura Friesi
0.1.0 Lampropeltis Banana King
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:41 pm

Ok Neill everyone is thinking it but too afraid to ask so I will. .. Does he have a history of drug abuse?
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neill » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Hi Rob no idea but it looks like he has been sniffing something
neill
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:18 pm

The white stuff is probably not a problem (sniffing powders excluded) so long as there is no build up of mucus in his mouth and he doesn't sit with his mouth open, gasping for breath. Several lizards excrete excess salts through their nose. Don't over do the calcium - daily is too much. Twice a week should be fine for a male while youngish and once a week when he is fully mature - that depends on the calcium. Some are worse than useless, so always use a reptile product calcium. The mammalian ones will kill your chameleon but do it slowly.

Ditch the 2.0 UV light - you are better off putting him in front of the TV, it gives off more! If you can't put him outside then 5.0 is best; 10.0 is too much unless it is a very big cage and he can't get closer than 30cm to the bulb; even then be careful. Our Veiled go out most days even at the moment to get the UV, so long as there is no cold wind and it is above 16c. Check the winter day temperatures for Yemen. Nights are different as they can't hide or find a safe hideaway in a cage, so they should come indoors.
David
http://www.sa-chameleons.com
See photos of Malaysian insects on my Facebook page: Exotic Insects
Breeding Insects as feeder food by David Haggett now available from Amazon
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neill » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:03 am

Hi David thanks for the info a guy at the local petshop said he thinks that i am overdoing the calsium but to his experience his said that when the cameleon was young he did not get enough water as a baby that is why theres the white crystels on the nose. I have replaced the light with a 5.0 last night. He started to shed is head skin last night so he is looking terable, thanks for the help
neill
SA Reptiles Member

Postby QtCreaCha » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:21 am

HAHAHA ROB!!!!! Can you imagine the sight..... ?? AH fantastic! Love the humour!

"The white stuff is probably not a problem (sniffing powders excluded)"
"Ditch the 2.0 UV light - you are better off putting him in front of the TV, it gives off more!" Like I said, love the humour!

My morning just got better, Thanx chaps!
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Postby HOUSE OF DRAGONS » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:01 pm

tv channel!! he's a male, stay away from days of our lives, might get wrong impression on howz things are done!! :lol:
i found a company that imports Borasilicate glass from germany, its highly heat resistance glass , very clear( they call it ultra white), they use it near industrial ovens etc. its nogals pricy, but the wonderfull thing is it has a UVB transmission of 93%. its normal 5-6mm thick, BUT the standard pane size is 1.150 x 0.850, where normal window pane size is 1.45 x 0.950. i asked a friend to make me frames that fits into my normal window panes and placed the borasilicate glass in the frame. now my igs and beardies indoors have unfiltered sunlight through the glass. i still have them once a week outside for the fun of it and the 5.0 lights for rainy days
white stuff- sodium cristals?
HOUSE OF DRAGONS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:04 am

Not quite on the subject of white nose crystals but - be careful and try to take UV measurements at different distances from the window. UV is notorious for rapid strength loss over distance. You may find even a metre from the window that is a lot lower than you think. I found it falling almost logarithmicly when I was bulk breeding tropical butterflies in the UK.

Back to white powder - excess calcium has been reported as one of the causes.
David
See photos of Malaysian insects on my Facebook page: Exotic Insects
Breeding Insects as feeder food by David Haggett now available from Amazon
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neill » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:55 pm

Thanks David

Sorry that i only come back to you now, i have cut down on the calcium alot and willie is looking a lot better
Thanks again
neill
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Veiled chameleons (Chamaeleo calyptratus)