Odd Chameleon Behaviour!

Re: Odd Chameleon Behaviour!

Postby Chameleons » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Raising the soil temperature sometimes stimulates the laying process. If she is just wandering around the bottom of the cage, then it is likely that something is not to her liking. It may the soil, the layout of the cage, noise, disturbance or the temperature. The latter is most often the case with Carpets but can apply to others.

This can be true of this time of year, particularly if the container sits on the ground or is put outside, when it can lose the heat it built up indoors and be quite cold. But even indoors a cold concrete floor can be deceptive. It would be unusual for a Veiled to be laying at this time of year in the wild but indoors the conditions are rather artificial anyway.

The soil mustn't be too hot which is why it is important to have a thermometer probe at the bottom of the soil. If the soil is no more than 24 to 25c then it is no warmer than the incubator.

There are many variables and this is but one suggestion. It may or may not be valid in this situation but is worth trying. There is nothing to lose if this is not the reason for not laying.
David
See photos of Malaysian insects on my Facebook page: Exotic Insects
Breeding Insects as feeder food by David Haggett now available from Amazon
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Yeah I guess you can try whatever you like, or works best for you.

David how long is the gestation of your female veileds?

My one female is on the 40 days side.

Both females have retained sperm, I bred them just before winter, and they both decided to reabsorb (Im so lucky my females do that), normaly most females peg from eggbinding.
And now that temps are warming up both females are in their gravid state and looking quite large I have pulpated them and both have eggs in them, but not all of them have developed because they do not have alot of bulges yet, only 1 on each side.

-Tyrone
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Egg development time, in my experience, is nowhere near as well defined as most books would indicate. It can vary by species but may be from as little as 30 days to over 80! My experience (and I emphasize that this is mine and may not be the same as others) is that sperm retained females may take longer to lay their eggs. I had one Veiled that after 40 days (which is about normal) of messing about and pretending to lay, lost interest and went about her 'normal' business ... and then laid 3 weeks later quite happiily.

I only use a calendar as a rough guideline and only put in egg laying containers when, like the female under discussion on this thread, she goes down and wanders about the cage floor. So far this has worked 100% as an indicator. But there have been a few females that have changed their minds and ignored the container. Others have laid in the flower pot, despite suitable conditions elsewhere.

Erratic or uneven egg development could be a sign of impending egg binding - not always but it is worth keeping an eye on them. Palpation can be tricky and should only be done by those who have had some experience handling chameleons - whcih I know you do.
David
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:20 pm

Calenders are a must for me with my chams.

I think my female is getting ready to lay, she did not eat today, and is inspecting the laying bucket I put in, but she is not looking to fat but I can feel one or 2 eggs in her in the place I palpate.
At night when she is sleeping she is very relaxed so I can see the egg bulges then, I`ll try get some pics of the prego girls and see what you guys think.

Any update on her QT?
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby QtCreaCha » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:47 pm

YES, YES, YES...........IT Finally happened, I had a feeling it would be today cos she started digging in her egg laying substrate today. She has laid her eggies but I am leaving her, she is still covering and now just sitting right ontop of where she buried them. I am going to leave he for a while before taking them. Am so relieved and sooooooooo excited to see them. It certainly does not look as though she has anymore inside her. I will feel later or tmrw.

Will take pics and let you know how many!

Yippeeee.......Thank you for all the help and advice, the next best thing would be for her to get her 5min of fame somehow, somewhere??????
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LindaD » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:35 am

Yeah congratulations!! All's well that ends well. Can't wait to see the pics.

She is gonna be really tired. Give her plenty of water and food. And see if you can top up her calcium levels. Egg laying really takes it out of these girls.
The chameleon changes color to match the earth, the earth doesn't change color to match the chameleon
LindaD
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cerberus » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:13 pm

QT, you goin to organise me a baby right? :-D
Congrats and best of luck with incubation and having a new brood soon.
I Stop to smell the the roses and often forget to start again

Got so many voices in my head.... wish they would get jobs

Education is key to setting you free, For everyone else it's a rock salt stuffed 12 gauge
Cerberus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby QtCreaCha » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:50 pm

Thanx Lin, I am really relieved it is over. She was so so tired afterwards, far more than her first time and she was ice cold. So I took her off and put her in a smaller cage that was nice and warm and warmed her up nicely. She is also still shedding, the last two sheds have been difficult for her for some reason, it was not as quick and complete as all her other times and I did not want to disturb her while she was gravid by helping her.

She is drinking plenty of water but not keen on any food really, yesterday took one silkworm, which I am happy about and this morning only one superworm. Did not want to know a thing about a cricket or silkworm. She is doing ok, I will still leave her today and maybe tmrw, then if she still has not shed completely I will help her. I am putting my shower on hot and just running it for a while in the morning and evening to get the humidity way up a bit to help cos my gecko is also just starting to shed, so this helps a bit.

She laid 58 eggs this time, so time will tell how many are yay and how many are nay..Will post pics over weekend!

By the way, good choice of name for your cham.........That's my real name!
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Postby QtCreaCha » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:41 pm

UUGGHHHH..It's eina looking at 58 infertile eggs!! Hey David, my suspicions were right! Anyway the most important is she is ok! She took plenty strain with this batch, I did not enjoy any part of it. I don't like seeing her so thin and weak! Her recovery has also been slow, she is only now getting back to a bit of normality. On another upside though, is my other eggies, still looking good, no more losses.
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:35 pm

Shame about the eggs. Are you sure they are all bad? The viablity drops off with stored sperm but normally some would be ok. Good to hear that some of the originals are ok, so all is not lost. Also nice to hear she is doing ok.
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby QtCreaCha » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:04 pm

Yip, 100%, after I told you what I suspect I kept them till this past weekend and they are definitely AALL infertile. Threw them away! Not one single one took shape colour or size, all started going mouldy and yuk!

Yes, she is much better, just my shedding stress, with this last shed, she never shed her feet and tail again. Bathed her forever in the sun this weekend with her tail and feet emmersed in warm water and tried gently rubbing it off but hells bells and cockle shells, my girl is FEROCIOUS man! She wants to eat me and hisses like a gaboon.... I even smell her stinky breath when she hisses!! HA! I helped a bit with her casque and around eyes, which was nerve wrecking. I read about the eye shedding and it is so so sensitive and fragile and flimsy there.

I'm going to grab her tomorrow and use a baby toothbrush and if she wants to bite me, she must go ahead, I'd rather have injured hands than her having no"hands"!

Yes, I'm happy about my other eggs, like I said to you, If I can just have one hatch, so I have a piece of Cruz, I will be happy. I know I will have more though!

What's the status of your book? Hopefully get to you this week for silks....
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:06 am

Sad news about the eggs. Looking forward to better news on the others. When are they due to hatch? Give me a week or two notice and I'll have fruit flies ready for you and your little herd.

Neurotic Veiled? Surprised? Not really, sounds like a job for heavy gloves!

The book is now at the printers - it is 144 pages and not 128 as originally planned, which means more and bigger photos. I have had superb help with the design and formatting which means that it looks fantastic. Everything is on target for the launch at the Exo Terra show. Here is a view of the front cover. If anyone wants to know more they can look at our web site. Or you could have a sneak view when you pick up the silkworms...
David
http://www.sa-chameleons.com
cover_web.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby QtCreaCha » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:03 am

OK news about the 'new' eggs, Mid November 'THE' eggs! A week or 2 fruit flies fine! Just don't call Christina neurotic......I'd also be neurotic having to share my space with a bat! PS. both b and c doing well!
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Veiled chameleons (Chamaeleo calyptratus)