Coco peat as a substrate

Coco peat as a substrate

Postby Rishaad » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:30 pm

I would like to find out if anyone has had any experience with keeping snakes on coco peat (compressed bricks that expand when water is added, some guys use it for the tarantula's as well) as a substrate. I have been trying it out on a few snakes and the only downside I see is that the tend to get it in their water bowls. Would it be safe if a snake ingested a little of this stuff or will it cause impactions like wood shavings do? I have never fed them on it yet though and just place their food into their hides which has paper towels in them. It does seem fine enough without sharp edges to be ingested without causing a problem but I am not too sure.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Coco peat as a substrate

Postby deleray » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:50 pm

Have used it before but prefer that stuff they sell at Creatures and Critters (not sure of the name) - you can also buy it in bulk for a 1/4 of the price than the pet shop. I can't stop my snakes from ingesting a bit of it during feeds, and have never had a problem, I consider it roughage!
deleray
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:58 pm

I have used coco peat with amphibians but can't judge it because they were arboreal, I am still in 2 minds about it though, some will say that it is bad if ingested but I suppose if you feed in a separate enclosure or tub then this wont be a problem. I will be using it for a tokay gecko soon, but I think the only way to try it is to test it.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ClintonT » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi Rishaad,

I have given it a try. I made up a mixture of the peat, eucalyptus and some orchid bark. It looks very nice but some problems. One has to watch the moisture levels as it retains moisture very well, in fact a little too well in my opinion. Too dry and you have the opposite, its like dust. I found that as the snakes burrow in it, which most of mine appeared to do, it gathered in their mouths a bit, especially the BHS. I was concerned with this as I feel in the long run it could lead to infections.

I have since stopped using it and gone back to plan eucalyptus and bark.

Regards
Clinton
Clinton Thomson
Just Ball Pythons
http://justballpythons.wordpress.com

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

"You were born an original...don't die a copy." - John Mason
ClintonT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dazz » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:39 pm

Hey bud..i found that it clogs up their nostrils and dirty's the water alot.much easier to use bark and mulch
Conservate!
dazz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:55 am

Tried it also & gave it up shortly after, no good for snakes!
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ClintonT » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:01 am

Hey Rishaad,

I have found another option for substrate, which I am trying. It is coco husk which is very much like an mulch. You can get it in three sizes (small, medium and large) I am testing it at the moment to see how it works and what issues I may have with it. Main reason for trying this is I am battling to get eucalyptus mulch. The eucalyptus I have managed to find has been wet and already molding up. ;(

Clinton
Clinton Thomson
Just Ball Pythons
http://justballpythons.wordpress.com

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

"You were born an original...don't die a copy." - John Mason
ClintonT
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Enclosure substrates & decor