The last straw

At one stage or the other, we all deal with a death. It is never nice losing a pet and thus, you can share your loss with the rest of us and share your memories so that they will be remembered.

Re: The last straw

Postby Urucone » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:37 pm

My grand mother ussually says when a sheep dies "that's farming" well let me put it this way, that all of us lost a reptile someway or another, that's herping brother, best thing you could do is let your passion drive you and don't give up, best of luck.
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:46 pm

I lost two or three of these guys by now. They do well and then suddenly just roll over on you.

I have a single baby left at a friends place and living on a farm he gets road kills all the time which this guy loves. Once he is over the finicky stage (more than a metre or two) I will hopefully get him back. Babies are not easy to raise.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mgiddings » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:11 pm

Wow Rowan that really is sad :(

I have heard about 8 or 9 out of then babies die.

I really feel sorry for you, i'm nearly crying and it's not even mine. The rest of your snakes need you man :)

Never give up, stay strong
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cornishrex_rules » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:05 pm

I do not keep snakes, but a bearded dragon and I can only sympathise with your loss. Be strong and is will get easier to deal with. Just remember him as he was not as he is.
cornishrex_rules
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:01 pm

I've lost many snakes over the last 15 years of keeping snakes since i was a kid, but this honestly has effected me the worst.

BV i've heard of a lot of people feeding there kings road kills, but honestly I would've been too scared too, i was even worried about feeding snakes that recently died of natural causes or something to that effect. Thats how careful I was with that snake, if was the first snake I checked on in the morning and the last one I checked on at night. I hope to get older ones sometime
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:15 pm

Agreed, if you can get hold of some older ones I'm sure those would work out great!
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:41 pm

We'll see in time, waiting for some crotalus, sistrurus and hopefully death adders from Joe switalski to come my way with Gavin's shipment, so guess I can't throw in the towel now hey
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:06 pm

I also heard that most of those little kings that arrived a short while ago have died. Clearly this is not an easy animal to keep alive.
Some time ago I added Kings to my personal list of animals to stay the hell away from no matter how tempting it maybe to try and keep them.
They sit right next to A.cerataphora now.
sorry Serpy that sucks mate.
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ClintonT » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:31 pm

Hey man, really sorry to about the loss of your King. Really bad news.
Clinton Thomson
Just Ball Pythons
http://justballpythons.wordpress.com

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

"You were born an original...don't die a copy." - John Mason
ClintonT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:38 pm

Thanks guys, yeah they really not easy to keep, maybe I'll buy some rodent feeders from the states or UK next year. we'll see
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby greggo13 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:52 pm

Sorry for your loss!
greggo13
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:39 pm

Amphibian wrote:I also heard that most of those little kings that arrived a short while ago have died. Clearly this is not an easy animal to keep alive.
Some time ago I added Kings to my personal list of animals to stay the hell away from no matter how tempting it maybe to try and keep them.
They sit right next to A.cerataphora

Cerats are cake to keep once you give them what the require.
Its a simple formula.

Sorry to hear about your loss Rowan.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:50 pm

I want to try cerats sometime soon.

Thanks man
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:48 pm

Well Serpy good to see you back on the horse so soon mate..... but i would certainly look at wrestling that formula from gaboon69 prior.
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:02 pm

I will definitely speak to him about it prior, as a friend has a legal shipment of atheris coming into brits soon, so will get a few from there and see what happens.

I have a decent backround knowledge on atheris so will just build from there. But will be on the hunt for older ophiophagus
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to RIP