The last straw

At one stage or the other, we all deal with a death. It is never nice losing a pet and thus, you can share your loss with the rest of us and share your memories so that they will be remembered.

Re: The last straw

Postby gaboon69 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:36 pm

Haha. Lots of guys have had bad experiences with them so in many ways I know where you are coming from Amphibian. I wrote a caresheet a few years ago but I never put it up. A seemingly risky experiment revealed that they chomp on common Pretoria African red toads (Schismaderma carens) without any signs of intoxication. They loooove them.

Only later did I realize these toads also occur in Tanzania.
WC animals from countries like Germany tend to be in good condition due to the rather cool climate. My personal view is that in S.A. no cooling = no cerat. They do well in our winters but summers here are just over the top. Animals which come into SA directly from Tanzania are exposed to high temps and low humidity during the lengthy logistics processeses. Thats the no 1 killer. I believe that if you are going to import these successfuly then they should be moved quickly.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:09 am

Gaboon your next problem is that if the animals are imported legally then they are subjected to a 30 day period where the temps have to be above 26 degrees and this usually ends up being about 28 to 29 degrees with no night time drop! This kills them off during quarantine. Most of the delicate Atheris end up dying either during or soon after quarantine. The hardier ones are not affected by this requirement of the state vet.

In my experience almost all the A. ceratophora I have seen were smuggled in. This also counts against them and they die rapidly from other reasons.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Serpy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:34 am

I totally forgot about the high temos in quarantine, Dumb question I know, but what is the reason for the high temps?

Can't the temperatures be adjusted to the needs of the species coming in?
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:45 am

I am so sorry to hear. It hurts, but packing in is not the answer. Keep strong and carry on. You have a wealth of information that other's need. You can not give up on all that you have learnt.

I know the pain you are feeling. I have been there. I know that there are others on this forum that have been there too. Don't give up.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:46 am

No won't be giving up, just need to reassess the situation at try different things.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby greggo13 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:51 am

Now thats the right attitude!! Welcome Back!!!
greggo13
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:01 am

Thanks man :)
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:10 pm

Bushviper wrote:Gaboon your next problem is that if the animals are imported legally then they are subjected to a 30 day period where the temps have to be above 26 degrees and this usually ends up being about 28 to 29 degrees with no night time drop! This kills them off during quarantine.

Very valid point BV.
As nasty as it may sound, I would honestly say that the smuggled animals do best.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Please do not jump to conclusions when reading former.
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Copperbob » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:07 pm

I also think that knowing the exact locality of your Atheris imports is extremely important, simply because species occurring at lower altitudes would probably be able to tolerate the heat much better.
Copperbob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:04 pm

I'm so sorry to hear Serpy! :-(
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:22 pm