Herping next week

Herping next week

Postby Chamssss » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:06 am

Hey all

I will be going to Hazyview next week for about 8 days really excited, mostly to search for reptiles!
I have just started herping this year because I am getting old enough to do it my self lol 14.
So I would just like to know what I might expect to find there?
Im hoping to get to see some flap necks and traansvalense chameleons, can I find traansvalense there in Hazyview or near it.
Is there better findings on slopes, mountains, flat ground, near rivers or what? Oh and what is the best time of the day to go herping?

I am also educating myself about snakes but not completely clued up on them but could you guys give me a heads up on snakes I should stay away from like what are their names, where can I find them, and what do they look like, best to just leave them and walk away or what?
One snake I think I might find is Puff adder which I will leave as is because I do not mess with something like that.
Please some advice about all that would be very helpful.

After the trip I will post up the pics of my findings.

Oh yes and last week was up the mountain near my house with a friend of mine in the Hi veld. Found thousands of scorpions many of the gravid they were the normal burrowing scorpion, the small one lol dont know the name, and another which we only found 2 of which were like burrowing scorpions but were attached to the rocks when we lifted them, they had thin longer tails.
Snakes we found : Olive grass snake quite large approx. 1.2m, 2 Bibrons burrowing snake and then I did find a black headed centipied eater it was so small my friend (quite educated with snakes) told me it was fully grown so I liked that one but it got away from me going through a very twisty hole, let it loose because I thought I would hurt it trying to pull it out.

Please help a young herper out :)

Kind regards
Tyrone
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Herping next week

Postby Fooble » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:19 am

Where you go looking fro snakes really depends on what you are wanting to find.
If you want to find say boomslang you aren't going to go flip rocks and if you want to find water snakes say you'd search in damp localities ect.

So if you are just wanting to find any herps search as many area's as you can.
Flip rocks (then put them back!) , look in rock cracks , termite mounds , the sunny side of slopes, road cruising but at 14 i doubt you have a car :D the list can go on.

Then again you have to see what area you have to work with and what is available.

Hope you have some success.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby armata » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:02 am

Also avoid the heat of the day, early mornings and evenings are best. And usually more activity after or even during rain.
Also herp with a buddy, especially after dark.
If you are at Hazyview call in at the snake park and talk to Iggy, you'll get some good advice re local herps as well.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Chamssss » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:14 pm

Thanks guys, I will try check out the Snake park if I have the time.

You said I should check termite mounds does that mean I must destroy them and look through it or what? haha
What snakes will I expect to find there?
I will be close to the crocodile river.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Don't destroy anything!

Be a responsible herper leave it like you found it!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Be careful. The most common snake in that area is the mozambique spitter. Get a book and study up on which snakes occur in that area. Ask the locals too. Do not destroy any habitat because if you do find a snake or lizard where is it supposed to find a new suitable habitat after you have finished taking photos. Leave only foot prints to show you were there!!!!!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Chamssss » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:57 pm

Thanks BV
And yes I thought not to destroy them but I dont know what you mean by check the termite mounds because I have seen plenty up the mountain in the Hi Veld and have seen no snakes on them nor around them.
And I promise not to destroy anything!
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:11 am

I know what fooble meant by check termite mounds... there really is only one way though. Happy herping & be safe. you sound like the responsible type.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Mpumalanga