Another smuggler bites the dust

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Another smuggler bites the dust

Postby Bushviper » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:29 pm

This morning a parcel was intercepted at the post office. It smelt funny so it was opened. Inside was a dead Kukri snake and a live Sharp nosed viper.

It would seem as if the authorities are not happy and the recipient is going to be in serious trouble.

If anyone here is expecting a Kukri snake or female D. acutus then I would start collecting money for the fine and legal fees. The chance that you are going to jail for animal cruelty is not out of the question either. It all depends on the prosecutor.

Sending a parcel with live snakes in it is stupid. It is too cold in Europe and too hot here. The snakes usually die and this is not acceptable to anybody who likes snakes. I hope they throw the book at you.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Another smuggler bites the dust.

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:34 pm

Where exactly was it sent from?
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:17 pm

I doubt the consequences will be dire. 2 snakes shouldnt cause a stir. If only there were more in the parcel.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:29 pm

Posting them like that is bad enough. but we are barely out of the hottest month of the year here and this fool has stuff sent to him.
That tells me the snakes never meant much to him and were worth the "risk" of dying. :smt021
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cradle of life » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Rob wrote:Posting them like that is bad enough. but we are barely out of the hottest month of the year here and this fool has stuff sent to him.
That tells me the snakes never meant much to him and were worth the "risk" of dying. :smt021

Huh?
To fly is heavenly, but to hover is devine!!
Cradle of life
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:11 pm

I am expecting a Kukri snake, from Switzerland?!
But I don't believe that is mine.

Mine hasn't even been sent yet, as far as I know...?
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby fredsmith » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:36 pm

I hope the individual gets whats due. Smuggling aside, the suffering of any animal gets me fired up. This method is just plain cruel.
This kind of thing though, makes me wonder... How many actually make it through into SA in this manner? Anyone have any stats?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:39 pm

How would you get stats? The only stats you could possibly have is how many packages are intercepted every year.
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:02 pm

They opened it cause it smelt funny, Is this a normal practice?
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Poor snakes!!

Is what normal practice? smuggling via the post or opening cause the package smelt funny?
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cradle of life » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:13 pm

Cradle of life wrote:
Rob wrote:Posting them like that is bad enough. but we are barely out of the hottest month of the year here and this fool has stuff sent to him.

Huh?

Sorry Rob did no tread the post properly - i agree 100% with you :idea:
To fly is heavenly, but to hover is devine!!
Cradle of life
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Perhaps not "stats", but perhaps an educated estimate?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:31 pm

No problem COL :)

BV - So when does the guy get named?
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:59 pm

I was only questioning whether it was a normal practice to open parcels if they smell funny....
but if you are asking if it is a normal practice to smuggle animals through the post, well in my opinion that would very much depend on who you were asking.....
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:16 pm

Perhaps by "funny" they meant it smelt like a dead animal?

Then again, perhaps a PO employee opened the box "without permission" and upon discovering snakes raised the alarm saying he smelt something "funny".
If none were dead when he opened it he may have said he heard a hiss and opened the box.

Its like the spiders that the PO found a few months back after one of the spiders "climbed out the box". Such rubbish, if you saw a tiny spider on a box you would've presumed there was a spider in the office. I think packages get opened in case there is something valuable inside and from time to time they find the ones they opened contained something illegal.

Conspiracy theory perhaps but Im sticking to it.
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to News and Announcements