Eggbound Thrasops jacksonii

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Eggbound Thrasops jacksonii

Postby Contortrix » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:23 pm

I have a Thrasops jacksonii that is eggbound, is there anything i can do? The "eggs" has formed a gigant lump and i don't think she will be able to pass it =(

Atheist.
Contortrix
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Eggbound Thrasops jacksonii

Postby marc bt » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Give her calcium ASAP! Mix it in with some water and drop some of the solution on her nose/ mouth, she should take it in. I hope this helps
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:13 pm

If you can get a tube in her and give her calcium powder that has been mixed with water that might help.

If they have formed a lump then I think the bottom one has gotten stuck. If you dont have a reptile friendly vet nearby then you will have to do this yourself. Take a thick (white) needle and put this on the biggest syringe you can find. Feel where the last eggs is and hold it in position with the one hand. Using the needle in the other hand penetrate the body and into the middle of the egg. The entry should be where the belly scales and the body scales meet. Draw off at much of the contents of the stuck egg as what you can. Rather remove the needle from the syringe than have to make a second puncture in the snake if the first syringe is full. Leave the needle in the snake and just place the syringe back and draw off more fluid. once you cannot get any more fluid out of the egg then leave the female in a warm quiet place and she should pass this eggshell and hopefully the other eggs too.

Please let us know how it went.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Contortrix » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:56 pm

Ok..me and my limited English again.... i think it's slugs like last year so the slugs, not eggs has formed a big solid lump. I will probably not be able to suck inything out becouse the slugs are solid right trough :-S
Atheist.
Contortrix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:18 am

Oh dear. Then the best you can do is get some glycerin gel like KY jelly and try to get this into the oviducts. Try to massage the slugs higher up into the body and then once the jel has lubricated the bottom area you can slowly force them out one egg at a time. Possibly a vet can help you to find the oviducts from the cloaca so that you do not get it into her gut.

The calcium and warm water swims might help but the chances for just that being effective is very slight if these are indeed infertile eggs. Infertile eggs are the same size as fertile eggs so they should still pass. Try sucking them out anyway as they usually turn jelly like later on during incubation.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Reptile Hospital