Breeding in winter.

Breeding in winter.

Postby Chamssss » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:51 pm

Hey all I was wondering if anyone has bred their veileds in winter, and did the female do fine and actualy lay her eggs and did you just keep her quite warm?

As I would like to have some veiled and panther clutches this winter.

Regards

Tyrone
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Breeding in winter.

Postby Fooble » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:55 pm

Why would you want to breed things in winter?
Doesn't make much sense?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Chamssss » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:20 pm

Why does it not make sense?

I will have chams hatching in summer then. If I breed them in summer I will have chams hatching just at the start or during winter, because veileds take 6 months to hatch and panther 6-10 months.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleon Company » Wed May 19, 2010 11:09 am

chameleons in captivity, especially panther and veiled have no season and can be bred throught the year if conditions permit.

@Fooble - i breed chams in winter to have juveniles all year round for sale, there is no problem with this if husbandry requirements are met.

I currently have a panther heavily gravid, and 3 veiled that have just been bred. These veiled will lay in mid-June (Winter peak)
2:2 Pseudaspis cana
1:2 Dasypeltis scabra

And yes they are all on permit.
Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Wed May 19, 2010 10:36 pm

It is quite possible to breed chameleons throughout the year if heat and light is maintained. However, is it wise? In the wild they are subject to seasons and are designed to breed at set times of year. It is very likely that females that are 'forced' to breed continously will suffer. They will struggle to build up their conditioning between seasons - that rest seems to be important. If you are only out to breed for profit, this is acceptable as you will be replacing females regularly, as they die. If you are after strong, good quality eggs and youngsters you may face challenges, unless you are prepared to ensure excellent nutrition - a wide range of insect species and correct vitamin/supplements. Crickets with a bit of calcium and a sprinkling of Chameleon Dust will not do them much long term good if they are subject to a year round cycle of stress due to continous breeding.

As far as lighting is concerned, there is evidence that a chameleon kept in captivity will still be able discern external seasonal light varitions even if subjected to a non changing light regime.

We occasionally got panthers, carpets and veiled that would be gravid out of season and had no problems. Having said that, we opted to aim for a more seasonal breeding program and had high egg yields and a virtually 100% hatch rate.

David
See photos of Malaysian insects on my Facebook page: Exotic Insects
Breeding Insects as feeder food by David Haggett now available from Amazon
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Veiled chameleons (Chamaeleo calyptratus)