Mamba bite! Coincidence ??

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Re: Mamba bite! Coincidence ??

Postby swazi » Wed May 26, 2010 4:43 pm

Ms S which vet did you take her to? Many will negotiate a better price if you just ask, they will understand 8 vials without medical aid is pretty heavy for most to afford.

I moved my breeding rats and rabbits away from my house, we were finding too many mamba's and other snakes visiting. The aviary will be a snake magnet as well.

Good to hear your dog is fine and well, it's heartbreaking to watch a dog die that way. Good on you for going the extra mile.
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr S » Wed May 26, 2010 7:48 pm

The vet i took her to is West Acres animal clinic in Fig tree st in Nelspruit, Johan and Albertus. These guys were exceptional and really did an amazing job to have such a successful outcome. They did offer me the choice to merely replace the 8 vials i used if i could get it cheaper. They have only ever done this once before for another guy they know equally well.

I must honestly say that i appreciate their offer as by doing this i saved just about R3500-00. I bought the antivenom directly from the SAVP at R715-00 per vial. Prices went up on the 01 April 2010, but still a good deal i thought!
The pied piper was a herpetologist!
Mr S
SA Reptiles Member

Postby yoson10 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:59 pm

Mr S wrote:The vet i took her to is West Acres animal clinic in Fig tree st in Nelspruit, Johan and Albertus. These guys were exceptional and really did an amazing job to have such a successful outcome. They did offer me the choice to merely replace the 8 vials i used if i could get it cheaper. They have only ever done this once before for another guy they know equally well.

I must honestly say that i appreciate their offer as by doing this i saved just about R3500-00. I bought the antivenom directly from the SAVP at R715-00 per vial. Prices went up on the 01 April 2010, but still a good deal i thought!

Wow that's a great story and I'm glad that you went the extra mile to keep the dog alive. So based on your experience are Black Mamba bites pretty much 100 percent fatal to a dog if that dog doesn't get medical treatment? What about if it was a large dog like a boerboel?
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:07 pm

I would say a mamba bite is 100% fatal if left untreated. If I remember correctly the bite from a black mamba was the only one in SA with a hundred persent mortality rate before ventilators and antivenom were available.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby yoson10 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:22 am

Wolf777 wrote:I would say a mamba bite is 100% fatal if left untreated. If I remember correctly the bite from a black mamba was the only one in SA with a hundred persent mortality rate before ventilators and antivenom were available.

Yeah Ive heard that also. But like from your personal experience is it true? From what I understand, the antivenom works well against the neuro-toxins that the mamba has so most people who get bitten and get anti venom dont go into respiratory failure as the anti venom stops it. But like assuming you didnt get anti venom would you like 100 percent certain go into respiratory failure if you received a full bite?
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:55 am

Yes. There are many variables i.e. type of bite (full, defensive, glancing), size and health of victim etc that play a role but with a full bite and no anti-venom or artificial respiration, you will most likely die from respiratory failure.

Some victims need respiratory assistance even after receiving anti-venom.
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:13 am

Swazi said it all.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby yoson10 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:13 pm

swazi wrote:Yes. There are many variables i.e. type of bite (full, defensive, glancing), size and health of victim etc that play a role but with a full bite and no anti-venom or artificial respiration, you will most likely die from respiratory failure.

Some victims need respiratory assistance even after receiving anti-venom.

Thanks for the info swazi. Does the same applies to dogs aswell? Like does a full on mamba bite always mean death to a large dog if the dog isn't treated with anti venom or ventilated?
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:38 am

With a full bite, I would have to say yes again.
Swazi
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Venom Club