Pls answer ?

This section is for debates, Quizzes and Competitions. Please keep the debates clean, no name calling, etc. Have fun!
Check back often to see the latest Competitions and progress thereof.

Pls answer ?

Postby Herpetologist » Fri May 28, 2010 11:41 am

Were going to a game farm named Lissataba about 400km off Thabazimbi, bordered with he Crocodile river, would like to go herping but not sure if the snakes would be hibernating and hiding away by that time? Please post here what do you think.We are going from 9th July to 16th. Thanx alot Herpetologist. :-?
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.

W. C. Fields
Herpetologist
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: Pls answer ?

Postby fredsmith » Fri May 28, 2010 11:49 am

I reckon you've got a decent chance to see a bit of activity still. Tempratures out that neck of the country are still quite warm during the day.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Crash » Fri May 28, 2010 2:13 pm

Even if cold, Its proberbly the best time as the snakes are hibernating and cold so their is not much movement and are proberbly under rocks,ant hills, etc.
So yeah a big thumbs up no harm in trying you will def find.

Good luck
Crash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Sun May 30, 2010 6:47 pm

I would expect activity to be rock bottom around that time of year. If a reptile fearing tourist asked me what is the best time to go there and not encounter snakes I'd say try hitch a ride with Herpetologist lol. There are a few species that will appear during the day but few and far between, especially if you don't disturb any habitat.
Dude I hope you suprise us with some decent finds, good luck.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby BushSnake » Sun May 30, 2010 9:23 pm

You'd probably find that the diurnal species such as sand snakes, boomslang and especially the lizards are still active because the area still gets quite hot during the day, but the nocturnal things tend to disappear in May/early June or even earlier if I go herping in early May :). My theory is actually that it is not the temperatures that make them hibernate or become REALLY inactive in that area. I think it is actually the lack of available fluids as the area gets really dry, so snakes can't risk dehidrating and be active for long periods without sufficient water...

You can of course go and cause permanent damage to the environment by flipping termite mounds just in case something is hiding in them...but I'd recommend not to do that ;)
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Herpetologist » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:37 pm

@Bushsnake and froot, please go and look under Limpopo, The Lissataba trip then you guys will see what I found without out flipping termite mounds (thanx Bushnake for reminding me that ;) ).
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.

W. C. Fields
Herpetologist
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Return to Debate, Quiz and Competition Forum