Nile or West african caimon

Nile crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles.

View gallery

Re: Nile or West african caimon

Postby riderx48 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:21 pm

What if the people who buy from him decide that their pet becomes too big and they release it somewhere where people swim or come close to the water. This guy must be stopped!
I have a dream for the future of my snakes and I will do anything to make it possible
riderx48
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cradle of life » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:54 pm

riderx48 wrote:What if the people who buy from him decide that their pet becomes too big and they release it somewhere where people swim or come close to the water. This guy must be stopped!

Quite safe in JHB it will take about 500 years to grow that big in the cold :D But yes the peanut must be stopped by hook or crook :idea:
To fly is heavenly, but to hover is devine!!
Cradle of life
SA Reptiles Member

Postby riderx48 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:56 pm

Oh lol.
I have a dream for the future of my snakes and I will do anything to make it possible
riderx48
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:46 am

If croc's where, hypothetically, released into a body of water in Gauteng, what would their survival chances be?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:31 pm

It would depend on the size and species of croc as well as the type of water body. How large and deep the water body is and how much vegetation cover there was would all play a part as well as available prey species. I recon only C. niloticus and Alligators would have a chance of surviving in Gauteng as the winter gets far too cold for all other tropical species of crocs.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:10 pm

Nile crocodiles do occur in numerous waterways in Gauteng. Most are north of Pretoria though. The southern part is a bit cold for them. The chances that they will live undisturbed however is pretty slight and as soon as they are noticed they will be removed or poached.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous chelonians and crocodilians