Berg Adder Bite

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Re: Berg Adder Bite

Postby Marcel2992 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:48 am

Ouch! Well Good luck, Hope you get recoverd soon
Knowledge comes from reading a book. Experience comes from... not reading it.
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:15 am

I am amazed by the effects of this snake bite. Did you get a decent look at the snake? It is winter so I would not have expected it to be in any position to be disturbed so easily. What were the temperatures like when it bit you? On top of Cape mountains this time of the year you are usually looking at under 5 degrees which means they do not come out to bask and their muscles are so cold they cannot really inject much venom.

Did you have any signs of dizziness, change in vision or smell or taste? All the other reports from the Cape describe these symptoms. Where exactly were you because the different (to be described) species could have different venoms.

Keep the wound clean and rather put gauze bandages over the wound so that it can breath but still be kept as sterile as possible. An ointment like polysporin or bactroban will not be a bad idea as well. Keep taking photographs and posting them

Good luck
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby shamroth » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:43 am

Was in pringle bay,temperature was somewhere in the mid 20's, happened at just after mid day. The inland mountains are cold but the weather along the coast is still good and warm. Got a very good look as it hung onto me for a while. Had quite a difficult time convincing the doctors that it wasn't a puffy bite, as even the quick swelling and bruising pattern along the arm was not as expected. No vision taste or smell difficulties, just high blood pressure (196/160 when admitted, but stabilized at around 137/100 within a few hours) and low platelet count.
shamroth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:56 am

shamroth wrote:Was in pringle bay,temperature was somewhere in the mid 20's, happened at just after mid day. The inland mountains are cold but the weather along the coast is still good and warm. Got a very good look as it hung onto me for a while. Had quite a difficult time convincing the doctors that it wasn't a puffy bite, as even the quick swelling and bruising pattern along the arm was not as expected. No vision taste or smell difficulties, just high blood pressure (196/160 when admitted, but stabilized at around 137/100 within a few hours) and low platelet count.

The bergies are very active at the moment, this is basically perfect weather for them, low 20s with little wind.
Shamroth your BP was astonishingly high...
Good luck.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:47 pm

Eish!! Sorry to hear that. Hope you get well soon. I've often worry about getting bitten while looking for snakes... but not having found it by the time it strikes...
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Coral » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:11 pm

Now nvlooi that you mention that it other person i might add that it was indeed myself that got bitten by a cape cobra on 28 of feb this year.also just had cytotoxic symptoms still kept my finger but looks krom...will post pics sometime.that finger looks nice.just joking
Coral
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jen » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:18 pm

Shame - that looks painful! Really ironic - you didn't even have a chance to appreciate it in it's natural environment - bugger just zapped you! Wishing you a speedy recovery
1.1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
1.1.0 Corallus hortulanus
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus puniceus
2.2.0 Trimeresurus albolabris
Jen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tharu » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:50 am

Coral wrote:Now nvlooi that you mention that it other person i might add that it was indeed myself that got bitten by a cape cobra on 28 of feb this year.also just had cytotoxic symptoms still kept my finger but looks krom...will post pics sometime.that finger looks nice.just joking

Sorry, I don't want to change the subject here, but is it not also unsual to have cytotoxic effects with a Cape Cobra bite?? I have never heard or read of cytotoxic effects with a Cape Cobra bite???
Tharu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:13 am

How you doing man?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shamroth » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:09 pm

Looking better.blood flow to the finger is good despite the swelling so now just the wait for it to get better.
shamroth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:58 pm

At Pringle Bay and other areas along that part of the cpoast the berg adder is virtually at sea level. Having said that I have seen them moving around during cool rain at 12degC. Winter in some ways is a better time to see most of the dwarf adders on the surface during the day with the exception of the high-living ones. In the summer such as B. armata have a narrow window of crepuscular surface activity.

Interesting that you have no neuorological symptoms.
Speedy recovery.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:04 am

How are you?? Hows the finger/hand/arm lol?
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:39 am

Marcel2992 wrote:How are you?? Hows the finger/hand/arm lol?

Hows the finger bud?

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:19 pm

Hey!!!!! Do you have any pictures of the bite?? Please man! How's it going?
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shamroth » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:01 pm

Sorry guys, thought I had replied. There's a new pic up on superciliaris's site, fieldguide.co.nr . Its not very clear but il take a better one and try post it tomorrow. The swelling is compeletely gone but there was quite a lot of necrosis at the site of the bite and then underneath the living tissue along the finger bone. Have lost all mobility in the end of the finger. Going for a consult later in the week to see how much work its going to need.
shamroth
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Venom Club