What UVB are you using?

What UVB are you using?

Postby Chamssss » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:08 am

Hey all.

I thought this would also be a good topic to start.
UVB is a huge essential for veileds as you should know, though UVB tubes are also extremely expensive, I buy the longest Reptisun tubes 5.0 and they cost around R550 each, I dont use compact bulbs as I have heard that they cause eye issues, though I heard something like that problem has been fixed, is this true? Has anyone been using only compacts? If so what brand?

Also does anyone use Reptizoo tubes as I have seen they are about a fifth of the price of the Reptisun tubes.
Im looking at expanding my options with UV instead of just Reptisun which I cant actualy find in stock right now. . .

Cheers

-Tyrone
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Re: What UVB are you using?

Postby Carpetpythons » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:32 am

Hi Tyrone,
As I said before, you should look at the exo terra brand globe called solar glo. It is their mercury vapour globe. This globe is heat along with uva and avb all in one. They also emmit uvb much further than any incandescent globe. They are used in most zoos and serious collections. They last for about 8000 hours. I used to just fit one of theses globes in a dome and put it on top of the largest flexarium you can buy. This globe also allows for photosynthesis in plants so it keeps plants alive indoors.
Carpetpythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:28 am

Cool thanks. Il look for it in the shops and see how much its going for. I will need quite a few of them though, thats one reason why I like the tubes as I can put 1 over about 3 38gallon flexariums.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:47 pm

What's the minimum investment for proper lighting here. And how do you regulate lighting times?
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:35 pm

The investment depends very much upon your time and your local petshop profit margin! You need a 5.0 UV light that is positioned correctly. Check the distances from the chameleon to the light, bearing in mind that UV light loses its strength logarithmically and not in a straight line. In other words, at 30cm from the UV light you will get one reading but by the time you are 1 metre from the light you might as well not bother. This is a common mistake and cause of MBD. (There is a chart of distance and strength in my book, see below).

Ideally, use the sun ( with a UV light as a 'supplement'). If you are able to put the cage (netting and not glass) in the sun for a couple of hours a day it will be of great value. Even 4 or 5 hours at the weekend is superb. Obviously, common sense is required re over-exposure on hot days, wind on cold days, care regarding dogs and cats etc.

Basking lamps are a point of contention. I have never used them and had over 100 chameleons at one point and have raised hundreds of young veileds and dozens of panthers and carpets. But - all of my chameleons (from 4 to 6 months old) were kept outside as much as possible. If you do use an IR bulb be very careful as it can and, in many cases, does burn the lizard. Aside from MBD, burns caused by bad positioning of an infra red light is one of the more common problems seen by a vet. Check that the chameleon cannot climb anywere near it.

So - how much is your investment? Theoretically, only 5.0 UV lamp and ballast.

How long? Another point for discussion. Some people set their lights and heating to run for 12 hour cycles, 365 days a year. This is unnatural and you should aim to vary the cycles with seasons. Having said that, if you vary the temperature (and Veiled will not like 30 -32c for 365 days a year) you can stick at 12 hour cycles as the outside light will add some variation.

Hope that helps a bit. Shop around for lights but buy well known brands.
David
http://www.sa-chameleons.com
http://www.mantispress.co.za regarding the book
See photos of Malaysian insects on my Facebook page: Exotic Insects
Breeding Insects as feeder food by David Haggett now available from Amazon
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cornelius » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi guys

Belinda will be doing a presentation on UVB at the next WRHA meeting, feel free to join us as I am sure that it will be very insightful.

Regards
There is something that is much more scarce, something finer by far , something rarer than ability.
It is the Ability to recognise Ability

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804?v=photos#!/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804
Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:16 pm

What are the normal prices for UV lamps suitable to use on chameleons. and other reptiles in need of UV-light.

IR bulk =? infrared light / What is the risk of burning the animal if the infrared light is shining from outside the cage via glass or gaze?
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Infra red lamps are not really favoured with chameleons. It depends on the distance between the cham and the light aswell as the wattage, if the wattage is really high and too close to the chameleon you will risk serious burns. I went the safest way regarding lights for my chameleons, over 3 cages I have 1 exo terra 48 inch repti glo 5.0. It cost me R549, I also bought some 75 watt UVA bulbs, they cost R100 each.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Veiled chameleons (Chamaeleo calyptratus)