Lost a really good friend...

At one stage or the other, we all deal with a death. It is never nice losing a pet and thus, you can share your loss with the rest of us and share your memories so that they will be remembered.

Re: Lost a really good friend...

Postby fredsmith » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:04 am

Thank you all for the kind words and wishes of condolence, they are truly appreciated.
He really was the most awesome dog I've ever been owned by and he will be sorely missed.
It's amazing how deep they creep into ones' heart, and whilst many don't understand how a grown man can be so heartbroken over the loss of a "mere dog", I thank you once again for your understanding and comfort.

The police, should they actually catch these scum, tell me that the most these people could be charged with is destruction of private property? Doesn't seem fair.
I take solace in the fact that the wheel does turn, albeit slowly, but what goes around does come around.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MISA » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:22 am

fredsmith wrote:
He really was the most awesome dog I've ever been owned by and he will be sorely missed.
It's amazing how deep they creep into ones' heart, and whilst many don't understand how a grown man can be so heartbroken over the loss of a "mere dog"...

Fredsmith, anybody that doesnt feel heart ache or sorrow after a loss of their beloved animal family member is cold hearted...

I feel your pain brother, I lost my best friend to organ failure.. I still shed tears 2yrs later thinking of the good times we shared..

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant--
"I have absolutely NO tolerance for stupidity and self-inflicted pain borne out of the greed to gain at another’s expense."
(Made_In_SA 09)

1.0 -Matindane (WC)
1.0 -Mkhovu (WC)
1.0 -Tokoloshe (CB)
1.0.1 -Angasi (WC)
MISA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ReptileCorner » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:49 am

Sorry for your loss fredsmith. Both our cats poisoned.
One survived after being asleep for more than a week but the other passed away. When our vet did an autopsy of my cat's tummy there was enough 2 -step poison in there to kill a Rhino - about 4 table spoons of the stuff.

When I reported it to the SPCA they told me I must call the police. Which I did, but they laughed at me because it was a cat! They only take dog poisoning seriously. I was so furious. Of course I screamed and made a scene, I did a statement and that was that. Nothing ever came of it.
The worse is we stay in a complex and our cat never used to leave, so it must have been someone who lives here in our complex. Right on our door step.

So I feel your pain and wish your family the best.
"These Hitlers use the camouflage of science to make money out of animals... so whenever they murder our animals and call it sustainable use, I`ll fight it. Since when has killing a wild animal, eating it or wearing it, ever saved a species?" -Steve Irwin
ReptileCorner
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vuduman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:21 pm

Sorri for your loss FredSmith.
Its so unfair that the poisoners can only be charged with destruction of private property.
I can see your dog was more than just a dog for you.More like a family member.
I can't even imagine what I would do to a poisoner should I catch him in the act trying to feed my dog poison.
My sincere condolences.
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cornell » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:15 pm

I am very sorry for your loss.

Do you know what poison was used?

When I was on varsity vac last year we found poisoned meat on two different occasions.

It was boerewors laced with some green tablets.

Sent it off for testing and it was found to be prescription tranquilisers so it was definitely a neighbour.

Hope that wheel turns quickly for you...
cornell
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:56 am

cornell wrote:Do you know what poison was used?

Sadly no, the vet (Dr. Slazenger from Howe Circle in Sunnyridge) refered to it as "two-step"? But as to what that is exactly, I have no idea.

Whatever it was, it caused bleeding from just behind his upper front teeth and was followed shortly thereafter by a severe neurological attack best described as some sort of epileptic attack that lasted around 20 minutes or so...
We went to bed at around 11 or so that evening, and called Jack in shorty before that, he at that stage showed no sign of ill effect and was his usual spritely self.
At around half one in the morning, my wife heard him whimpering (which wasn't unusual)... I got up to see what his problem was, thinking he needed to be let out to go and do business as he never messed in the house.
He was struggling to stand properly, had started to vomit and soiled the floor. His stools were runny and appeared very dark, I'm told due to him most likely swallowing his own blood.
About fifteen minutes or so later his legs straightened, his back arched and he went into convultions... He passed shortly thereafter.

Once again, thank you to everyone for the kind words.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:32 am

fredsmith wrote:
cornell wrote:Do you know what poison was used?

Sadly no, the vet (Dr. Slazenger from Howe Circle in Sunnyridge) refered to it as "two-step"? But as to what that is exactly, I have no idea.

Thats' Aldicarb which is supposedly banned but there is a lot in circulation.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Previous

Return to RIP