Snake Repellant

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Snake Repellant

Postby clinton.wayne » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:29 am

Hi Guys

I went to a chalet last week at Oribi Gorge and the owner said that they get snakes on the property quiet often and they can generally scare the snakes off but once she had a black mamba that was in a tree near the coffee shop and they had to unfortunately kill it. They can’t get anyone to remove snakes as they’re too far away, so I was wondering if there’s a snake repellant that people can use to keep snakes away. Someone once told me that Jeyes Fluid works is this true? :smt017

I apologize if I posted in the wrong place...
Smile . . . makes people wonder what you're up to
clinton.wayne
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Snake Repellant

Postby fredsmith » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:49 am

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:53 am

I am sure they should be someone on this very forum that could remove snakes from that area rather pass their info onto those concerned?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Silvrav » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:41 pm

You can also tell them to plant “malva” plants. (Sorry, that is all I know it as).

The scent is quite strong, smells nice, but keeps snakes away. My uncle has it planted around is farm yard to keep snakes of the grass as his grand children plays there.

Keep in mind, it’s purely a inconvenience to the snake. If there is food or something it really wants, the plant scent won’t stop it.
Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:36 pm

Geraniums or "malva" does not work. I have removed a snake from an entire bedding of geraniums and the snake had lived in there for a few weeks before I could get to it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Silvrav » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:16 pm

Bushviper wrote:Geraniums or "malva" does not work. I have removed a snake from an entire bedding of geraniums and the snake had lived in there for a few weeks before I could get to it.

So much for boere raad! lol
Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club