X-ray images

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

X-ray images

Postby dilbert » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Hi all,

I got a few questions about X-rays.

1)
Do X-ray images come normally by default with a date and time on it?

2)
Are X-ray images the property of the vet even if it's you who paid entirely for the production of those images?

I am asking because the last vet we used rejects our query for giving us the X-ray images of our tortoise that has died. She said via her receptionist that those X-ray images "are her property and she wouldn't give them to anybody". :shock:

I am now recalling that on a particular appointment the vet first mentioned that X-rays wouldn't show much but then took the tortoise with her for X-rays into another room but we have never seen those X-ray images.
So, I thought that wouldn't it be an easy way to make some quick money with X-rays never taken or showing X-rays from other tortoises especially if those X-rays images don't show any particularities?

Thinking even further on all those blood and stool tests that show "Coli bacteria" or "few worms" or only an imbalance of white and red blood cells when we knew already that the tortoise had an infection.
1.1.0 Eublepharis macularius
0.0.1 Eumeces schneiderii

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
Winston Churchill
dilbert
SA Reptiles Member

Re: X-ray images

Postby Tails'nScales » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:07 pm

Dilbert, x.ray images is your property, if you break your arm and you go to the doctor, he hands you the images after the examination, you paid for it. The x.rays also indicates the time and date when they are taken.
Bottomline is that the abovementioned vet is taking you for a ride...
i7 990X @ 5.0Ghz Antec Cooled | ASUS ROG R3 Formula | 12GB Dominators 6x2GB @ 1866Mhz | ASUS ROG MATRIX GTX580 SLI
Tails'nScales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:34 pm

If you pay for x-rays then they belong to you. If the vet does not charge you then they are his. I think this vet is a bit scaly and not the nice scaly.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Silvrav » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:43 pm

Yip, X -rays are yours if you paid for it.
Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dilbert » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:11 pm

The problem seems to be solved. Today the vet agreed to make copies of the x-ray image.

Allegedly, all was confusion due to bad communication with the receptionist.

We asked the legal advice helpline of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons where all vets in the UK must be registered.

If a client pays for whatever "case studies" then they are the property of the client. Only some vets don't charge for "x-rays" they charge for "X-ray study" instead (as on our bill). So, in this case the vet didn't charge for the image itself, only for "studying" it. But even in this case, the vet should give out a copy on request and in every case the client has a right to see those x-rays, at least.

So, the words "Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons" removed all problems of understanding ... :-D

Winston Churchill
dilbert
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:30 pm

dilbert wrote:The problem seems to be solved. Today the vet agreed to make copies of the x-ray image.

If a client pays for whatever "case studies" then they are the property of the client. Only some vets don't charge for "x-rays" they charge for "X-ray study" instead (as on our bill). So, in this case the vet didn't charge for the image itself, only for "studying" it.

Glad you managed to resolve this.

Just one thing the vet must remember (even if he/she didn't charge for the images) ... NO study can be done on the x-rays, without x-rays, so therefore I will think that the x-rays belongs to you.
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dilbert » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:36 pm

Well, this is not very clear to me. But at least a copy should always be given on request and surely you have the right to see what you have paid for.

Otherwise, it would be very easy to make money from radiographs that never have been done.

Another point is only the DICOM archiving system that also vets are using. My guess is that it is very easy to make copies from radiographs and simply re-edit the specific data like date and time.

So, if you got an appropriate radiograph, for example Horsfields have a very broad and round-shaped shell, ours had 126 mm x 105 mm, you could make copies and simply overwrite the specific "personal" data.
:shock:

Here is an exerpt from the email of the RCVS (the regulatory body for vets in the UK) professional conduct department:

Code: Select all

5.  Case records including radiograph films and similar
      documents are the property of, and should be retained by,
      veterinary surgeons in the interests of animal welfare and for
      their own protection. Copies with a summary of the history
      should be passed on request to a colleague taking over the case.

(N.B. Where a client has been specifically charged and has paid
      for radiographs or other reports, they are legally entitled to
      them. The practice may however choose to make it clear that they
      are charging not for the radiographs, but for diagnosis or
      advice only. In appropriate circumstances they may be prepared
      also to provide copies of the radiographs) [My Emphasis]

6.  The Data Protection Act 1998 gives anyone the right to be
      informed about any personal data relating to themselves on
      payment of an administration charge.

7.  At the request of a client, veterinary surgeons must provide
      copies of any relevant clinical records; this includes relevant
      records which have come from other practices, if they relate to
      the same animal and the same client. It does not include records
      which relate to the same animal but a different client. Where
      any significant expense is involved in providing such copies, as
      there might be, for example, with the provision of radiographs,
      a charge can be made. Expense should not be a reason for
      declining to provide copies.

And here the text of the email to us:

Code: Select all

As you will note, whether you are entitled to the original x-ray
      or not depends on whether this was specifically charged for and
      paid for; however you may be able to obtain a copy and I would
      think it reasonable for a client to at least have sight of the
      x-ray.

As such I suggest discussing the matter further with the
      veterinary surgeon.

Winston Churchill
dilbert
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Blet » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Veterinarians are required to keep/store radiographs for no less than 5 years in SA. This may lead to frustration with owners, but is easily overcome by making digital copies (even if taken with a simple digital camera). Digital imaging has made thing much easier. All radiographs must be properly marked with as much detail as possible...names, surnames, microchip etc and must be dated. If not, they may be considered invalid. As for digital radiographs...you can edit them in as much as adding detail such as markers and measurements, but an original will always be kept automatically and it is imposible to alter these. If your doctor or vet simply hands out original copies of x-ray photos, I believe he/she is taking a huge risk with data that may be useful at a later stage. At best, you should sign these out, taking resposibility for their safe return to the practice, but its not advisable, for all involved. If you doubt your doctor or vet's judgement or ethics, ask for a second opinion by an independent party.
Blet
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital