Vegan of vegitarian

This section is for debates, Quizzes and Competitions. Please keep the debates clean, no name calling, etc. Have fun!
Check back often to see the latest Competitions and progress thereof.

Re: Vegan of vegitarian

Postby ReptileCorner » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:16 am

Fooble wrote:Nice reptile corner!
I must say in a natural way mice/rats/geckos/frogs are the only things most snakes can feed on so its OKAY in my terms.

There are few things between vegan and vegetarian what most dont know is how much gelatine is in almost ALL sweets YUK!

My rule of thumb when it comes to me, If it had/has eyes or a parent i dont eat it.

I agree - you can't teach snakes to eat veggies. lol
Even before I decided to go completely vegan I had a problem with gelatine, yuk yuk - not only in ALL sweets, but also in most medicine and vitamin's that are a capsule. And on the extreme end even most photo paper is made with gelatine.
"These Hitlers use the camouflage of science to make money out of animals... so whenever they murder our animals and call it sustainable use, I`ll fight it. Since when has killing a wild animal, eating it or wearing it, ever saved a species?" -Steve Irwin
ReptileCorner
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:15 am

Well earthworms dont have eyes and technically dont have a mother so you could feed them to (Thamnophis) Garter snakes quite readily. You could even include them in your diet.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Fooble » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:19 am

Bushviper thanks but ill pass , i shall now add Oligochaeta to the no go list haha.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby vuduman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:41 pm

I have a mate who is vegetarian.He has about 60 tarantulas and plenty lizards and geckos,but he,himself wouldn't eat a mealworm :)
I guess I wouln't eat a rat - unless they are on special in the frozen food section :)
U AREN'T WHAT YOU EAT!
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:10 am

Here's something I've never done: Asked you about your eating habbits Fooble, but as we're on the topic, I'm curious!

Have you been a vegetarian your whole life? What about your parent? & your girlfriend? What do you eat on like a daily basis? If I ask most people what their favorite chow is they say pizza or burgers ect. What's yours? Just can't imagine looking at a carrot & thinking 'mmm, so good!'

DK
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:41 am

Ha ha Dean.

Many people are under the misconceptions of being Vegan or vegetarian means eating lettuce and green stuff , being thin and gecko/anaemic looking! You've seen me i dont quite fit that build ;)

Which couln't be more wrong really. Most food is almost equally good without meat, like Pizza for example vegatarian of course the cheese part makes it non vegan. But also pasta's , rice dishes as well as Curry's most are as good meat free then with meat. You'd be surprised how well people who don't eat meat can actually eat when you consider the endless possibilities.

Have a look here http://www.frysvegetarian.co.za/product-range/frys-special/ I have allot of this stuff its basically convenience just as one would perhaps have during the week after work ect when you don't have time to make something from scratch.

Taken for granted its not for everyone especially people here think chicken are vegetables and potatoes are the only vegetables that are good!

Looks alright hey? Vegan Burger

Do yourself a favour and take a chance and try something vegetarian and see how it is just so you get the idea life doesn't have to be carrots and lettuce.

Sorry for the offshoot vuduman!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby ReptileCorner » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:37 am

@ Fooble - are you a vegetarian or a vegan? Do your folks follow the same diet?
@ Vuduman - sorry, stealing your topic.

I have to agree with you, living as a vegan you are forced to try new things and eat a much larger variety of food than one would eat on a meat diet. I found when I was eating meat that I wasn't very open to new things like tofu, lentils, seeds, couscous, soya, beans...and of course Frys...oooh yes and Alpo dark chocolate dessert yum yum.

Also, eating Vegan you tend to stay clear of processed foods beause most processed foods have bovine additives (gelatine & milk) or egg products -so in general vegans are less likely to have heart problems, unhealthy weight gain, diabetes etc. But we are far from skinny, pale people like so many people like to class vegans/vegetarians as. And yes....we DO get enough protein!
"These Hitlers use the camouflage of science to make money out of animals... so whenever they murder our animals and call it sustainable use, I`ll fight it. Since when has killing a wild animal, eating it or wearing it, ever saved a species?" -Steve Irwin
ReptileCorner
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:56 am

After reading what you guys wrote being vegan or vegatarian sounds cool.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Hey guys.
Ok, so I do dig my fruit and veg, if it makes a cool crunch when you eat it(provided its a fruit or veg) ill eat it for sure. Even if the frikkin red pepper had eyes and a mom, id eat it...

BUT...nothing, nothing compares to a perfectly marinated, tender, juicy, medium rare steak, grilled to perfection...and a chocolate milkshake...oy, stop drooling.

But hey, each to his/her own, and I think that it takes a lot of will power to do away with meat, etc. especially if its something you've been used to for a long time...
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:09 pm

jka wrote:After reading what you guys wrote being vegan or vegatarian sounds cool.

Yip till I smell a braai or see some shaved biltong then Tofu just does not do it for me.

I am just glad there has not been any name calling or insulting remarks made.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby ReptileCorner » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:29 pm

I still have "milkshakes" and chocolates - they are just different and actually more yummy than ones made with milk. There is nothing better than proper dark chocolate - yummy! And it is 100% vegan if you eat a good quality one. Most lindt and woolies dark chocolates have no milk or egg products. And the soya milk products are just as tasty and are more healthier.

@ Arno - It's a personal choice and I don't like to try enforce my way on anyone, however sometimes vegans do get seriously hassled by meat eaters. Going out with friends is also a challange, people are very quick to critisize a vegan, yet I don't critise their meat eating ways.
My hubby still eats meat, it doesn't bother me, as long as I don't have to eat it, or cook it.
ReptileCorner
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nineve » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:00 pm

After reading this post I decided to look up some vegan diets, the food that you eat is very delicious and will do wonders for my figure and health!

But I don’t think I have it in me to give up meat, there is nothing better than a Saturday braai, biltong, and my favorite – Lamb roast!

:lol: :lol: I think for every Vegan my home is a torture chamber! Most of my dishes I prepare are with cream, cheese, eggs, butter and a lot of meat!
Crazy, not stupid...........
Nineve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:04 pm

I have always wondered why you get people that want organic meat... the ones that say the animal lives better if it is organic... yeah right then you have it killed and eat it.... rather take the battery chickens and put them out of their miserable lives. :) I have always wanted to hold a chicken hostage and threaten a vegetarian that I will kill it if they don't eat a piece of meat... will they save that chickens life?????
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:40 pm

@Bradmiller: some people fantasize about big houses, lamborghinis and gorgeous woman, but if you want to fantasize about holding chickens hostage, thats cool too...lol :)

SOYA IS AMAZING STUFF!!! Soya sausages taste the same if not better than normal pork sausages...synthetic meat, what next?
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:46 am

I have all those already ..... :)
I don't fantasize about it. Just wonder how far a veggie would go to prove their point.
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Debate, Quiz and Competition Forum