Please Identify

Re: Please Identify

Postby Superciliaris » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:07 pm

Whats the name of the flats out of interest ?
Life is the greatest adventure imaginable.
Superciliaris
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:18 pm

Superciliaris rather communicate through PM's as I do think there is possibly something else going on here and would like it off the forum for now. Once it is resolved then let us know what transpired.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby rolandslf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:03 am

Ok Folks, it looks like this is going to have a happy ending. Andrew will pic up the snake from the guy who has it tonight.
I just find it incredibly sad that some people will only do things if there is some form of gain in there favour.
The guy who has the snake spoke to Andrew last night, and he wants a reward. The greed of mankind shall be his downfall.
Thank you to all for their input.

BV -I will pm you shortly.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:31 am

I just read the whole post, all three pages to try and see if I can fathom something fishy going on.
What interested me is that on page 2 Andrew has pledged a pair of babies to me.
I never requested or expected any type of reward for my efforts, I am basically just a middle man in this whole episode.
Nevertheless, Thank You Very Much for Your Generous Offer Andrew.
This goes a long way to restoring faith in my fellow man.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:49 am

Good on you Andrew!!
Roland, you one lucky chap!
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dragonone » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:02 am

This is one hell of a story!

Some poor guy, Gets a call out from his bother in law. To catch a snake that looks like it has big teeth and is green with a black head! 1.7m long! hell most people would have just bashed the snakes head in. anyway he goes out and catchers the monster snake not knowing if it is even verminous! Takes it to some one that he thinks knows about snakes. Now he is branded a thief, housebreaker and I don't know what els.
This snake is definitely either an escapee or has been stolen from someone.
The guy refused to leave the snake with me.
Why I query it being stolen is that my wife and I suspect this guy of having stolen some snakes from me previously, but don't have proof.

Not only is he branded a thief some people here recommended that you guys must steal the snake back and even beat the poor guy up!
I am sorry, I would lay a charge of theft and/or steal it back!
I say this guy should be hit with the full might of the law or may just hit would work as well. If I were Andre I would not be in the best of moods right now and would be cooking up various methods of pain delivery to this guy.

Now once Andrew told us that the snake escaped, No one came back to even say sorry!
Since this accident happened ( I was gutted at the time) I designed stoppers for my "glass tank racks
so that accidental escape can't happen.

Okay this snake is worth R7500 - R15,000 Rolandslf is getting a pear of CB babies - Now I would like to know what this poor guy is getting! If I was this chap and I happen to see what Rolandslf is telling every one I would not give this snake back.

Just some thing els that bugging me about this whole story - if a snake like this escapes and just happens to be a female about to lay eggs! once free she lays these eggs - what would happen! - Should a escape like this not be reported to the Parks-board or something.
Dragonone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpitologica » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:18 am

If you find someone elses property you have two choices.Give it back to them or keep it.To demand money in order to return the property is low.Would you like it if your cat or dog or whatever go missing and you find out it's a few blocks over at some other guys house and when you turn up to collect it he sticks he's hand out and goes "whats it worth to you?"
I now the days of doing things for free are long gone but some things are still right and wrong and to hold someones property especially a live animal expecting a reward is wrong.
herpitologica
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dragonone » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:44 pm

herpitologica wrote:If you find someone elses property you have two choices.Give it back to them or keep it.To demand money in order to return the property is low.Would you like it if your cat or dog or whatever go missing and you find out it's a few blocks over at some other guys house and when you turn up to collect it he sticks he's hand out and goes "whats it worth to you?"
I now the days of doing things for free are long gone but some things are still right and wrong and to hold someones property especially a live animal expecting a reward is wrong.

Hmmm You may be right - But do you do all of the above (name call - threaten - brand him a thief) the way I see it, This is not a dog or cat. This is a 1.7m long snake - green with black head (Looks like a Snake from hell) with big teeth like marking! So not just any one would catch it and hold it. I know of 1000s of guys that would just kill the thing. Anyway he was phoned and went out and did catch it! (service) Lots of people here go out and catch snakes for gain some ask for payment others keep the snake as payment. I fact most people on this forum are here for gain I don't see any one giving snakes away they sell them for gain.

Anyway I am not talking about the payment side Of it - What I am talking about is hitting the poor guy down!

I for one would like to see the snake back with its owner who ever it maybe - But that been said I also think that seen this guys Knows nothing about snakes (as per Rolandslf) would think it only fair that he get a reward (maybe the CB babies) and a helping hand in the right way of doing things!

Come how would you feel if you did a service - and then get treated in this way! I for one would not hand the snake over at all not after seen what some of you guys are saying!
Dragonone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spider » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:06 pm

Dragonone wrote:This is a 1.7m long snake - green with black head (Looks like a Snake from hell) with big teeth like marking!

Am I missing something here? Because the snake in question doesn't look green at all to me.
“When spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion”
Spider
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:48 pm

For one, this snake is a male as far as I know, the 2 females are at home waiting for the male to come back. 2nd to give the babies to a guy who prob knows nothing about snakes is going to end in 2 very expensive dead snakes. From what Roland says they suspect this same guy of stealing snakes from him, so asking for a reward for catching a snake seems par for the course with this oke.

and to add to your other comments about most of us being here for our own gain, thats BS, for one, all of us who do call outs dont charge a single cent but donations are more than welcome. We all here to share and gain knowledge nothing more, nothing less.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:09 pm

Firstly this snake is not green so I dont know how well you know the story.
Secondly the snake did not walk down the road to this location so somebody stole it and transported it. Possibly they let it escape or let it go in that area. Nobody knows who did the actual stealing.
Thirdly this snake could never have been "about to lay eggs" because males do not lay eggs. Parks board would probably have released it into a reserve like they did with the Burmese python they confiscated in the past.
Fourthly if you find a car or rhino or even a pet snake or any any other item which does not belong to you you cannot just keep it. If the person who owns it can provide proof it is theirs then it must be turned over. A reward etc is discretionary.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Silvrav » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:47 pm

+1 BV...

Possession is 9/10 of the law. Eveb if you buy, collect, stolen goods, you can get hit by the book. Why do you think people put up posters,stating found animal, please call x.

Situations like this bring out true personalities...
Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Superciliaris » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:18 pm

I have cancelled all rewards including the pair of cb babies.
Dragonone is the guy with the Python and has chosen to keep the snake.
Life is the greatest adventure imaginable.
Superciliaris
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Waz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Wow. So the dude opens up a profile to defend himself and then pretends to be someone else heroically defending the guy accused of stealing the snake in the first place. How old are you? Is there any truth in the accusations/suspicions? If not, you should have no problem defending yourself here. If so, I think you should sort this out privately and then leave.
Warren Garvie
www.facebook.com/warrengarviepage
Waz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:15 pm

Im flawed.
A super heavy ending to an already ridiculous scenario.
If I knew where my animal was but couldn't retrieve amicably I would honestly be to gutted to sleep and would be quick to consider alternative means of recovery.
Sorry Superciliaris mate that is a really rough deal.
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Australasian pythons (Antaresia, Aspidites, Liasis, Morelia sp)