Getting my first mildly venomous......

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Getting my first mildly venomous......

Postby jigglypuff » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi Everyone

I have been thinking of getting my first mildly venomous snake.
I want to maybe go for a herald or a skaapsteker for a start.
I am also attending a venomous snake handling course this month, but i have done my research on getting tagged and I am well aware of the dangers associated with keeping venomous.

What other types of mildly venomous might be good beginner snakes?

I apologise if this question has been posted before and appreciate all feedback/chit chat/criticism.

Thanking everyone in advance.
It is said that when darkness falls all the beasts and ghouls come out to play.........i've only found my corns coming out to play.....
jigglypuff
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Getting my first mildly venomous......

Postby fredsmith » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:52 pm

Heralds in particular make really good pet snakes, they settle well and are really hardy all round, imo. If you can feed it, it'd my choice of the two options.

This is a topic that's been discussed at length many times though. If you use the search function, you,ll find many good posts and advice.
Good luck
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby John Rees » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:11 pm

I have just returned a beautiful female Red Lipped Herald of about 55cm length to my garden after having her for a couple of weeks. We have found her three times in the garden over a period of about 4 months and when I found her again I just had to hang on to her for a bit. I am so sure that she will get taken out at some stage by the dogs or the local Owls, cars, neighbours, cats etc!

Here is a photo of her being held by my neice who is out from the UK on the night I let her go and find her own frogs again.

Anyway, she was so relaxed and never once tried to bit or even strike out. I would say if you could get one like that you won't find a better snake to start out with. As long as you have plenty of frogs? We have a glut of toads here at the moment. That's my 2c worth!
John Rees
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:21 am

If you have lots of frogs then the red lip will be easy to keep. If you cannot be sure that you will find a frog every week then try the skaapsteker because they take mice easily (when they are the right size). Both calm down pretty well in captivity and neither will require medical intervention if you do get bitten.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby dasie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:44 am

Thats a nice size herald
dream as you will live forever
live like you will die today
dasie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:12 am

You know there is going to be no difference between the Herold/Skaapsteker and your Corn snake.They are not going to prepare you for keeping hots.What you need is a very aggresive non-venomous snake that is going to try and have a go at you every time you put your hand in the cage.To be honest I doubt you will ever find a Herold or Skaapsteker on permit in Cape Town any way, so you need to look at other options.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:26 am

What about a Western Hog Nose Snake.
I know people treat them as a " non venomous" but have a look at this

http://www.herpnet.net/bite/
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby TonyK » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:31 am

Fooble what I can`t understand is that the guy let the snake chew on his hand for 5 minutes before he removed it.Nice link, good to have a laugh at other peoples stupidity.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:32 am

Thanks Fooble.
That looks like it hurt somewhat...
I had a bit of a chuckle to myself whilst reading it though, he states, "After about 3-5 minutes the snake continued to chew so I dunked it under cool tap water which caused it to quickly release it's grip." ** 3 - 5 Minutes?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vinnige_fanie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:54 am

It has been posted before; I have read on a site some time ago that hognoses's venom is predominantly dependant on their diet aka frogs/toads.

If you have them on mice then their venom is not as bad and there for considered as harmless, but I can tell you this I got 2 from the expo the past weekend, stupid snakes seriously I have to put them in the shallow water bowl otherwise they don't drink ooi none the less they are so cute! What I was getting to was they have rather large fangs for such a small snake! And I would believe that those fangs can cause quite some damage!

Considered as a small snake where adults only reach 600mm +- they can provide a regrettable punch lol

This is what I read and was told from others, so if anyone has any other info or contra dictionary to my current posted please correct because I am trying to find as much info as I can on these little guys, I don't regret placing myself in financial distress for them lol

So jigglypuff, I would definitely say if you want a mildly venomous snake, get a hoggie, you will not regret it! :D
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Snakes do not change their venom depending on their diet. Where do you come up with this stuff?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bjorn » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:08 pm

Well your not allowed to keep Hognose snakes in the Western Cape as they are black listed. I brought in two and after that they were not allowed. They are very nice snakes and I just love the attitude.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vinnige_fanie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:15 pm

That sucks Bjorn :(
BV, that is what people told me, so what you are saying is that it is just bollocks? (or read on a site, I can't remember like I said some time ago)
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vinnige_fanie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:27 pm

Western hognose venom and type of venom Reply
by keyz on September 19, 2005 Mail this to a friend!
Does anyon have the specific date regarding western hognoses and there type of venom neuro, or heamotoxic i really dont know an is there a measureable yeild deliverd in a feedind or induced bite many thanks Kieron.

RE: Western hognose venom and type of venom Reply
by theemojohnm on July 9, 2008 Mail this to a friend!
" Human saliva, when injected into a hand, results in local pain, swelling, and discoloration. However, this does not mean that Humans should be considered venomous. And yet, this is precisely the approach taken by many in the herptile hobby when discussing the American hognosed snake.

According to Smith and Brodie: "...the fangs do not deliver a venom, although the saliva is believed to be toxic," (1982). "

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/forums/Toxinology/34

Don't meen to hijack this thread, but while on the subject, here is another thing I just found regarding hognose venom?
So what is it now lol, seriously I don't know anymore, and I just remembered where I heard that about the frogs, it was at a petshop in Boksburg some good 7years ago or so, it was the first time I laid eyes on a hognose I think the place's name was lookie loose or something, that is where I heard that, since then only saw one again aftet that.

This is what I read and was told from others, so if anyone has any other info or contra dictionary to my current poste please correct because I am trying to find as much info as I can on these little guys, I don't regret placing myself in financial distress for them lol

I didn't just make it up, this is the kind of info that is given out there, that is all I'm saying I know very little of these snakes and learning myself.
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vinnige_fanie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:43 pm

Where do you come up with this stuff?

And regarding your blatant assumption I took offence to this, I did state where the info was from, and requested to be corrected otherwise.
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes