Getting my first mildly venomous......

South African snakes with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Re: Getting my first mildly venomous......

Postby michael » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Jigglypuff
Skaapstekers and red lipped heralds are both nice choices. I assume you are just looking for a mildly venomous snake as a pet not as practice for a hot. You can get both of these quite easily on permit in the Western Cape unless things have changed dramatically, but personally I would try to get an eastern tiger snake Telescopus semiannulatus. To me these are just stunning and they are relatively often bred in captivity. Babies are difficult to raise but with a bit of patience and research anything is possible. Envenomation from this species is mild and generally uneventful so all in all I reckon that would be an excellent choice. You couldn’t ask for a more beautiful mildly venomous snake in my opinion.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Nexus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:27 pm

http://www.rear-fanged.com/de/heterodon.html

There you will be able to find some bites from Heterdon as well. Infact these snakes are very inoffensive and will bite poorly, they will strike with closed mouth and will make some sound!
I will upload the english part in about 5 or 6 hours ( not workin right know http://www.rear-fanged.com/en/heterodon.html )
There you will find some sources about Heterodon envenomations! I will update them, too!

Infact these snakes are harmless with correct handling. If you handle them after feeding or let the chew, there is a small chance of a nasty bite and it your own fault!
http://www.rear-fanged.com::: the herpetological source for opistoglyphous snakes
Nexus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi jiggly. You actually had the best suggestions right off the bat. I think anyone who has these snakes will say the same.
If you want a wierd snake get a watersnake. You can look at him dive and fish.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:00 pm

Id say, get your little semi-venemous(on permit). But if you want a snake to prepare you for keeping a venemous snake... get a mole snake :D
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dasie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:25 am

Jap mole snake highly recommended
dream as you will live forever
live like you will die today
dasie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby charl.dbn » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:48 pm

mOLe snake:)
charl.dbn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:31 am

michael wrote:Jigglypuff
Skaapstekers and red lipped heralds are both nice choices. You can get both of these quite easily on permit in the Western Cape .

On permit in the Western Cape I doubt it .
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:59 am

@ Tonyk
A few years back I had a friend in the Western Cape who regularly bred Rhombic Skaapstekers and these were on permit as well as the babies. I’m pretty sure he would have bred them again this year. I had Red lipped heralds on permit when I was studying there. Why exactly would you not be able to get these species on permit in the Western Cape?
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Jamster » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:37 am

The WC is kinda strict, dont even be seen walking around with a hookstick... Like i said in my earlier post, get one (ON PERMIT). If you cant get one there, Im sure you can get one from a breeder elswhere...but as michael says, if someone there is offering captive bred hatchlings in your area, then go for that...btw, a little red-lipped will probably be easier to start off with compared to skaapstekers... :)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:46 am

Michael I see the original poster Jigglypuff has placed a wanted add in the classifieds ,lets see if he finds any legal ones down in the Western Cape.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:23 pm

lets see shall we :)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jigglypuff » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi Guys.

I actually found myself a 60 cm skaapsteker, but not in the western cape sadly.

Have to organize it from Eastern Cape. But with permit.

Will keep you post.

Cheers.
It is said that when darkness falls all the beasts and ghouls come out to play.........i've only found my corns coming out to play.....
jigglypuff
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:23 am

@ TonyK
As I asked before please explain why you cannot get/keep these legally in the Western Cape. Are you saying that these species may not be kept in captivity there even if their origins are legal? Or are you saying that you will not get a permit for a wild caught specimen therefore excluding these from being kept in captivity. So please I would appreciate clarity.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:48 am

I think the problem is to get legal (permitted) skaapstekers in the Western Cape. Catching one I believe is out of the question. If you can find one on permit and the owner no longer wants it then there should not be any problems. It might be easier to get some from outside the province.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby TonyK » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:42 am

michael wrote:@ TonyK
As I asked before please explain why you cannot get/keep these legally in the Western Cape. Are you saying that these species may not be kept in captivity there even if their origins are legal? Or are you saying that you will not get a permit for a wild caught specimen therefore excluding these from being kept in captivity. So please I would appreciate clarity.

Michael please do not put words into my mouth ,I never said any of the above.If you want clarity contact Cape Nature.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous mildly venomous snakes