Bitis atropos bite.

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Bitis atropos bite.

Postby alberts » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi I found this on the net today and thought I'll share it with you guys. Its a case study of berg adder bite of quiet a few years ago. I have no idea how accurate the info on this doc is. Are there any members who have been tagged by one of these snakes?

Here is the link to the page, which should open in a pdf doc:

http://196.33.159.102/1971%20VOL%20XLV% ... 20Hull.pdf

Moved
I live in my own little world, but don't worry...the people there know me
alberts
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bitis atropos bite.

Postby fredsmith » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing that.

"a 16-year-old Johannesburg schoolboy and amateur herpetologist, was bitten on the dorsum of his left thumb by a 20·5 cm berg adder, which he was carrying in his pocket."
Now thats not something I'd have told the doctors (Unless I'd been tagged on the pocket area too)... One never thinks that 38 years down the line your case study would be available for all to see... LOL.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:10 pm

Nice read indeed. Neurotoxic symptoms far exceed the Cytotoxic it seems. I didnt realise it was by so much.

Thanks alberts
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alberts » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:43 pm

Its a pleasure guys! I must say he doesn't look like a happy camper on those photo's!
alberts
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:48 pm

No he doesnt. I think Ill continue my habit of not putting Berg adders in my pocket.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alberts » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:00 pm

I think that is one of the better habits to have when it comes to Berg adders. Are there any newer accounts of people who have been tagged by these snakes?
alberts
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:05 pm

Armata has a case study, one of his mates. Lets hope he shares that.
I wonder, with atropos being split into 3 species, if there is any variation in the venom of the 3 major localities.
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alberts » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:08 pm

hmm... that's a good question. I have no idea, the only thing I know for sure is that i don't want to be tagged by my female I have at home. I haven't forgotten about the photo's I ow you Rob, just have to go look for them still.
alberts
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:11 pm

Yeah best to steer clear of the sharp end regardless.
Just take new pics :)
I will post newer pics of mine too.
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:30 pm

Good document. Thank you. The owner of pythonsandboas.co.za has also been bitten once. I remember him mentioning nausea and loss of taste. That day he stopped keeping venomous I believe.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:29 am

My son was admitted to hospital on Wednesday for an operation. During this time a boy was admitted with a Berg Adder bite. He was from out-of-town and apparently they waited for 2 hours for medical assistance to arrive. He was flown down to Hospital.

From what I could see upon him being admitted: he was unresponsive and was put on to a ventilator. His left leg was blue (discoloured) ... I could however not see any swelling as both the legs appeared similar in size. He was apparently bitten on the foot of the left leg.

A post on FB was made the next day (Thursday) that he might be blind ...

Don't want to divulge in too much information (patient confidentiality etc), but this is the short of this.
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:07 pm

Snake Charmer please try to get the parents permission to get the medical info for us. This does not happen often and the facts would be invaluable. The locality where he was bitten would also be very important. We need not ever mention the patients name but the facts should not be lost. Any other information from the boy regarding the incident and how he felt at what stage would be important. Please try your best!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:50 am

Bushviper wrote:Snake Charmer please try to get the parents permission to get the medical info for us. This does not happen often and the facts would be invaluable. The locality where he was bitten would also be very important. We need not ever mention the patients name but the facts should not be lost. Any other information from the boy regarding the incident and how he felt at what stage would be important. Please try your best!

BV I unfortunately won't be able to get the info. I tried my best, but unfortunately I'm just a "normal member of the public". It just so happened that I was in the ward with my boy who underwent an operation, when this youngster (aged 7) came in.

I briefly spoke to his parents, but they were so shocked that I don't think they heard anything I said. I tried making contact again, but to no avail. I'll keep on trying though ... :smt017

I sent a message to a friend of a friend who knows the youngster (apparently their child is in the same class), asking as to how the youngster is doing (the Hospital won't release any info as I'm not family). I'm still awaiting a reply . :-?

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:53 am

Thanks for trying so far. I really hope we manage to get more info. These bites are rare and the effects are rather unique (blindness for one) so if you can get anything from them it would be appreciated.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:19 am

Bushviper wrote:Thanks for trying so far. I really hope we manage to get more info. These bites are rare and the effects are rather unique (blindness for one) so if you can get anything from them it would be appreciated.

Saw someone posted 13 hours ago that apparently he's off the ventilator and breathing by himself. Apparently his sight has been affected, but it could be temporary (not sure how accurate the info is, as this is not direct info given to me).

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Venom Club