I have no idea what male too use for her

Interspecies breeding and 2 headed snakes are the type of thing that would be discussed here. We are aware that these are controversial issues and some people feel strongly about their opinions on them. Please respect each other's views and keep discussions amicable.

I have no idea what male too use for her

Postby bubblesharp » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:44 pm

Hi,

I have been pondering on the idea of actually placing a topic or not, but my curiosity got to me. At first glance she looks like a normal Yellow rat snake, but what if I through this in the works ... both her parents is normal Texas rat snakes. We took three of the babies one identical to the parents, one a yellow one below, and the third right in the middle of these two concerning color and patterns. I assume that one of the parents must have been a cross between a yellow and Texas. She is two years old end of this year and I would like to breed with her end of next to give me chance to let her burmate next winter and too find a suitable male. I have no idea what to get although I do hope that the black rat snake seen in one of the photo's is a male, that I could use by then, still need to have him sexed. if not I have been pondering on the idea of a Taiwanese rat snake, but am a bit scared it might be "ugly" babies, I will have to keep them cos I won't be able to feed them to kings like someone on one of the other topics :smt010 . firstly because I like them more than mice, and secondly because I don't have King snakes. :D

Front view

side view

top view
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Re: I have no idea what male too use for her

Postby bubblesharp » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:45 pm

here is another two pictures of Trinity, one with Morpheus included, the black rat snake that might become her "boyfriend" :smt007

Images fixed (BV)
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:39 am

There is definitely Yellow Rat Blood at work here. One of her parents is definitely cross Yellow Rat if not both.
I would cross her with the Black Rat just to see what pops up in the second generation babies.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:53 pm

The problem is that crossing her with the black rat will more likely just produce really ugly babies of little value. I would rather look at putting her with a yellow rat snake or more especially an Everglades or even better an albino everglades ratsnake.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby bubblesharp » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Thanks BV,

I did not even consider the everglades rat snake. I'll try and find an albino everglades male. have the Black Rat sexed and then get him/her a mate.

Thanks
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Tue May 03, 2011 11:07 pm

I have been at the guy that bred these snakes, turns out that my mother in law (the one who gave me the snake was mistaken when she told me it was Texas rat snakes, she only got half the story) The daddy is an everglades ratsnake, and the mommy (late mommy, this was her last batch , 16 years old) a texas rat snake. This is evidently where the "yellow" comes from! Now just to get an Everglades male for her.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Thu May 05, 2011 12:50 am

well now, I have learned something new. BV told me in a PM that to ID an everglades rat snake is to look at the eyes, should be orange irises. and also look at the tong should be orange to red. The first two pic's, looking at them again, is way off, the camera did not capture the correct color and thus the snake seems way more yellow than the orange she actually is. the last couple of photo's is more the correct color. I only have a "mik and druk" so sorry about that.

Anyway, I am starting to think that I was completely misinformed about the snake and it's parents, Like I mentioned in my previous post, I went to the breeder to drop of this snakes darker sibling, and the dad was an everglades snake, very dark specimen but with all the tell tell signs of a true everglades, also did some more research on the topic. The snake in the pictures, resembles all of the features of a pure everglades snake. I can kick myself for not asking the breeder what the female was as I am no longer confident that she was in fact a Texas rat snake and that my mother in law had a mistaken ID.

Trinity, (the snake in the pic's) has very orange eyes and I had a really close and good look at her tongue when flicking and she has a red tongue. So I am concluding that in my lack of knowledge and some misinformation this Topic was placed in the incorrect Forum, but still it has brought me, via a long road, to the truth and I have found an adult male everglades rat snake that is about 5 years old to breed with her end of this year, so that I can have some more everglades.

Thanks for every ones input and suggestions, and sorry for the poor/incorrect color in the photo's, will be posting some new photo's of both the male and female once I can get my hand on my sisters camera (she is a photographer, so that baby will help me capture the true color and then I will also use natural light instead of the LED lights in the cage.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile hybridisation and genetic anomalies