Just for the record!

Just for the record!

Postby andy777 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:40 am

I put my boas together as I expected at the end of feb and they have not stopped mating to date. I started turning off their heating pads at night to cool them a little before the introduction.

Westley the forum gatekeeper who locked my attempt at asking the forum for a second opinion on whether I could start introducing, this ones for you! To everyone else who is waiting till April to breed, give it a try.

I think this follows on from most peoples feelings on this forum that certain people think they know everything.

Im expecting an attack as the best form of defense approach so go ahead and allot of excuses on why technically it is not the right time (which technically it could be!)

Thanks,
A
andy777
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Just for the record!

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:45 am

Wow congrats, lucky u!
My boas share the same enclosure so I do not know if they have done the dirty.
I have noticed that my female is constently on the heating pad and this is a first because she's usually on the cold side. So I'm holding thumbs!
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby andy777 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:07 pm

Thnks Carla, im very excited because both have great colour. Ive heard of boas breeding after being kept in the same cage but think it is allot more exciting for them when introduced :)
andy777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:35 pm

Boas have been known to breed almost all year around. Trying to mate them when the male has not cooled long enough to produce testosterone will result in matings but few viable offspring. The danger is that unfertilized eggs are large and often hard which can get stuck. These can block the oviducts and lead to the death of the female. Being heavily gravid during our winter can also be a problem with the development. Make sure you have some sort of back -up for rolling blackouts/ load shedding.

These are just possible scenarios but as long as you have a good reason to do it your way this could work out fine. Good luck.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby andy777 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks Bushviper, I had not read that yet. I hope I cooled him enough, should I keep them cool now as this should go on for around 3 weeks?
andy777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:15 pm

Cooling him at night might help. Only put the male in once a week for one night at a time. You can even try every 10 to 14 days between sessions. Dont let him get sick now either. If you cool his nights then warm up his days or else he will be sick. Same with the female. Let her be able to cool down and warm up as and when she likes.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby BCC » Thu May 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Bushviper wrote:Boas have been known to breed almost all year around. Trying to mate them when the male has not cooled long enough to produce testosterone will result in matings but few viable offspring. The danger is that unfertilized eggs are large and often hard which can get stuck. These can block the oviducts and lead to the death of the female. Being heavily gravid during our winter can also be a problem with the development. Make sure you have some sort of back -up for rolling blackouts/ load shedding.

These are just possible scenarios but as long as you have a good reason to do it your way this could work out fine. Good luck.

Boas don't have eggs though they birth live young but your 100% correct about being sure to have back-up plans for different scenarios of things that can go wrong
BCC
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Thu May 12, 2011 1:46 pm

BCC wrote:
Boas don't have eggs

Where do suppose the babies come from then? :smt017
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat May 14, 2011 7:07 pm

For someone who is asking this advice calling infertile eggs slugs may have him looking for snails and slugs in the cage. What do you think the little snakes develop from .... eggs!

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby BCC » Mon May 16, 2011 11:47 am

TonyK wrote:
BCC wrote:
Boas don't have eggs

Where do suppose the babies come from then? :smt017

Placenta sacs just like puppies...
BCC
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 16, 2011 12:33 pm

Placenta in a reptile? Sorry anatomically that does not happen. They are from eggs in oviducts.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby andy777 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi Bushviper, my male has been showing interest from March. My female just shed which I believe to be the post ovulation shed however he is still lying on her whith his tail very close to hers (like he is still courting). Her middle part of her body is bigger than normal. What do you think?
andy777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue May 17, 2011 11:37 am

I would write the date down and then count down another 105 days. It all seems very positive.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:09 pm

I saw mine mating (a lot!) but did not see the ovulation swell. Is babies still a possibility?
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Tue May 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Well I saw no mating but she is al bloated and she moved away from the male. She is on the heatpads constantly now even though room temp is around 22 degrees. Cage is 25 degrees on the cold side. Night time temps do drop but not much. I realy hope to get them breeding this year. Hypo plus Hypo gives?
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Redtail boas (Boa constrictor sp.)